Perfect training apiary?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If you could have a wish list for the perfect training apiary, what would be on it?

Large space for hives
high fenced with gate access (secure)
hard standing for hives, (paved or concrete slab )
Easy maintainable surface between hives.
paths to hives
Secure storage cage for spare kit
CCTV
Away from hives:
seating area
car parking,
toilets
Indoor space
Storage for bee suits

OK, if we weren't in a built up area then maybe the security aspects could be less. And hardstanding for hives means less ongoing maintenance than grass.

Is there anything I've missed?

Extraction room and dissection lab. Twickenham and Thames Valley have excellent facilities - unfortunately their website doesn't give a very good idea of how well they are set up, but it might be worth contacting them.

Laid back amenable good tempered non runny non swarmy bees. That rules out 95% of UK bees.

Laid back amenable good tempered non runny non swarmy bees. That rules out 95% of UK bees.

What's the training benefit of demonstrating bee behaviour that people are so unlikely to enjoy should they go further ? It's a form of deception.

Is beekeeping for the fainthearted ? I don't think so.

Extraction room and dissection lab. Twickenham and Thames Valley have excellent facilities - unfortunately their website doesn't give a very good idea of how well they are set up, but it might be worth contacting them.

Thank you! I have just been looking on the website!

A covered viewing gallery so groups of absolute beginners could watch the beekeeper demonstrate through windows or via a video without the need to suit up and get in the way.

Yes as above have - a netted area!

Thanks

What's the training benefit of demonstrating bee behaviour that people are so unlikely to enjoy should they go further ? It's a form of deception.

Is beekeeping for the fainthearted ? I don't think so.

I know many aspiring beekeepers are put off by nasty bees.

Forget the fainthearted bit, IF UK beekeepers wanted to keep good tempered bees , then they could.
Most appear either not to want to, think bad is the norm or don't know better.

It is indicative of the low standards expected by UK beekeepers..that such bees are tolerated. After all, there are lots of European countries where you can look at bees as on onlooker without any protection..

My aim is to keep bees in T shirt and shorts (in the summer of course)

I know many aspiring beekeepers are put off by nasty bees.

Forget the fainthearted bit, IF UK beekeepers wanted to keep good tempered bees , then they could.

It is indicative of the low standards expected by UK beekeepers..that such bees are tolerated. After all, there are lots of European countries where you can look at bees as on onlooker without any protection..

Its not just this country that get bad tempered bees it happens everywhere but we seem to think it is just our problem.Bees are only doing what come they would do it they where feral.

:iagree:
A German friend of mine tells me that its against the law to keep aggressive bees there. The beekeeper could be subject to an immediate fine. This is probably why they have such docile bees.
I think beekeeping in this country is very much behind the times in many areas.

:iagree:
A German friend of mine tells me that its against the law to keep aggressive bees there. The beekeeper could be subject to an immediate fine. This is probably why they have such docile bees.
I think beekeeping in this country is very much behind the times in many areas.

A rather good idea and what a shame it does not apply to Ireland and the UK. The very sad fact is, most beekeepers do not know what a docile bee is. To our Irish friends I would say, look at some well bred Buckfast bees and see how they behave and see what they produce. Make up your own mind and do not be led astray by groups or individuals who have hidden agendas.

A rather good idea and what a shame it does not apply to Ireland and the UK. The very sad fact is, most beekeepers do not know what a docile bee is..

Again: :iagree:
However, it is not the race we should put our faith in. It is the method. This is based on proper scientific principles.
We are straying from the purpose of this thread though.

Last edited:
I think a good training apiary should teach that things can sometimes go wrong,including the bees turning nasty.Even the most experienced beekeepers have problems sometimes.If a beginner has some idea of what to do to correct things that is pretty good, also the chance of backup help or advice after .

A rather good idea and what a shame it does not apply to Ireland and the UK. The very sad fact is, most beekeepers do not know what a docile bee is. To our Irish friends I would say, look at some well bred Buckfast bees and see how they behave and see what they produce. Make up your own mind and do not be led astray by groups or individuals who have hidden agendas.

Buckfast, Carniolans.. I don't care what type of bee it is. As long as they are docile.

Buckfast, Carniolans.. I don't care what type of bee it is. As long as they are docile.

Quite so, I was thinking at the time of my countrymen and docile Buckfasts are common and more accessible than the other bee breeds. I think it essential for a training apiary to be able to display at least one colony of truly docile bees, because most people will not have seen such bees.

Quite so, I was thinking at the time of my countrymen and docile Buckfasts are common and more accessible than the other bee breeds. I think it essential for a training apiary to be able to display at least one colony of truly docile bees, because most people will not have seen such bees.

I have a mix of Buckfast Carniolan and mongrels.. On a good day, like today, I can open the hive , take out a frame - and they don't run, fly away or sting at all (I have to be careful handling them being gloveless).. Makes beekeeping a pleasure.
On a horrible day, the best hives are not at all grumpy. Ideal for grumpy old men with a missing finger and no little feeling in two..

My horrible hive - now requeened was an example of bees not to have...
Off to finish inspections now: sweat has evaporated with a cup of tea.

I suppose we are all content to have different aspirations for our beekeeping.

I am not behind the times of anyone, just because my yield might be lower than others, or because I have to wear a veil.

A sting or two on the hand is not the end of the world, and the sooner potentially interested parties get a taste of it, the better for themselves and their resolve.

As for the Germans and their busybody ways... no.

One way or another, if 95% of bees in Britain are 'x', then 'x' is what prospective beekeepers in a training apiary should be exposed to.

A sting or two on the hand is not the end of the world, and the sooner potentially interested parties get a taste of it, the better for themselves and their resolve.

I have a different view. One sting was enough to kill my son even though he had been stung before. Nobody ever believes it can happen to them. Imagine how I feel and what it takes for me to do the work I do!
I have talked quite a bit about the approach which bee breeders throughout Europe have adopted. It is a rational approach and founded on bleeding edge research. It won't be for everyone but, I hope, some of you will be curious enough to learn more.

You are on the right track although different hives want go a mis. If you are going to teach beekeepers they need to know the differences in hives, their benefits and disadvantages.

Well from all of the above I've done more than very well. Got just about everything on the list with 1 to 1 tuition, so many hives to open examin & compare, under watchful eyes. If I wear gloves at all it's just the blue nitrile ones to keep my hands clean. I can and have walked around the apiary in shorts and T shirt. I have looked into so many hives and as my mentor has said some people would never know the difference between a good hive and an average hive through no fault of their own but just don't have the numbers to compare
Wingy

I suppose we are all content to have different aspirations for our beekeeping.

I am not behind the times of anyone, just because my yield might be lower than others, or because I have to wear a veil.

As for the Germans and their busybody ways... no.

One way or another, if 95% of bees in Britain are 'x', then 'x' is what prospective beekeepers in a training apiary should be exposed to.

Arguably you are entitled to keep whatever type of bees you choose, all I would suggest is that you make as informed a decision as possible. Perhaps sometime you will be able to visit various breeding stations in Germany or to have a holiday in Slovenia ( a beautiful country) and visit breeders/keepers there, you will find much on which to reflect. Newcomers to beekeeping need to be shown what is possible and while there may well be some justification for stocking aggressive local bees, at least a hive or two of something better is desirable for contrast if nothing else.

Latest posts

Back