Percentages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming the queen has mated with non similar races.

I think that is over simplified.... just gives a warped and skewed statistic... not at all re-presentable in the real world

Chons da

In the real world where queens mate with multiple drones that assumption is unlikely unless we're talking about bringing in totally alien queens so Cheers' statement is entirely correct.
Try kicking the ball rather than the player.

Do keep up MBC. That is exactly what we are discussing. A Pure say for example Carniola Queen mating with the local mongrels and the dilution of the original genes in subsequent generations. a

Do keep up MBC. That is exactly what we are discussing. A Pure say for example Carniola Queen mating with the local mongrels and the dilution of the original genes in subsequent generations. a

IT is hard to believe how fast original bought genes vanish.

Last edited:
I have taken one generation. Second means inbreeding. I keep only 2 yield years, mostly one.

Last edited:
To satisfy my curiosity, how many generations do you raise from your bought-in queens? What do you do with these queens at the end of the year?

Like Finman, just the one open mated generation (F1) from any Station mated queen. In my area it's about 50:50 whether any F2 are okay or have turned local.

No it's 50% dilution. Assuming the queen has mated with non similar races.
Each worker bee has 50% of her chromosomes from her mum,. and 50% from her dad (drone)....nowt complicated about it. So if queen is pure strain and has mated with local mongrel all her female offspring will be 50% local 50% whatever she was. Any queens cells and future queens are exactly the same, 50% of what they where and this statistical halving of original genes continues for each subsequent generation. There are a few exceptions but not enough to change the 50% dilution of the original gene-pool at each subsequent generation.

Yes that what I meant but a days teachering rotted by maths. What I don’t get is how you can dispute this - surely this is simple facts.

Far more complex... "good" genes can also be retained or even enhanced, which is what BA was doing with his "Buckfast" pedigrees.

Chons da

That a not what we are taking about.

beebopper;654744 What I don’t get is how you can dispute this - surely this is simple facts.[/QUOTE said:
In and ideal world.... then Chaos Theory take over!

Nadelik Lowen

Like Finman, just the one open mated generation (F1) from any Station mated queen. In my area it's about 50:50 whether any F2 are okay or have turned local.

I do not take F2, because half of hives are last year's daugters, with their present drones. Not good idea that virgins and drones are near relatives.

I test my last year bought queens comparing them to my old colonies. Often new queens are not good at all.

Last edited:
I do not take F2, because half of hives are last year's daugters, with their present drones. Not good idea that virgins and drones are near relatives.

I test my last year bought queens comparing them to my old colonies. Often new queens are not good at all.

Finman you may be suffering from the small number of apiary sites in your country.

Latest posts

Back