Percentages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuttingedge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I remember seeing a chart sometime not too long ago that showed the dilution of race in subsequent generations of queens. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

Assuming the queens don't mate with their own race then it's 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and so on. Basically by second generation they are 75% local.

Assuming the queens don't mate with their own race then it's 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and so on. Basically by second generation they are 75% local.

In another words... 75% unselected genes/ Darwin genes.

It is often said that F2 is not ay more good. Reason is, that 75% of genes are something else than original.

Last edited:
I think that is over simplified.... just gives a warped and skewed statistic... not at all re-presentable in the real world

Chons da

I think that is over simplified.... just gives a warped and skewed statistic... not at all re-presentable in the real world

Chons da

What do you understand real world?

"Statistic is a science which try to simplify and describe complex reality".

You get statistic from minimum 20 cases.

But original question was very simple. Difficult to invent fairytales to it.

Last edited:
What do you understand real world?

"Statistic is a science which try to simplify and describe complex reality".

You get statistic from minimum 20 cases.

But original question was very simple.

Yes, Cheers/Hoppy demonstrating, yet again, his appalling ignorance of simple genetics. Glad I don't read his dribble anymore....and I wish people would stop quoting him so I could read even less.

Yes, demonstrating, yet again, appalling ignorance of simple genetics. Glad I don't read dribble anymore....and I wish people would stop quoting so I could read even less.
Yes everyone please stop feeding the TROLL!!!
He / she rarely brings much of any interest to this forum... some of us are totally fed up with it !!!

Genetics... particularly honey bee genetics are not simple... even if you have a simple mind...
... as regularly demonstrated by Beefriendly/Truble/Thymallus... I suspect he/she has more than one handle even on this forum!

Genetics are best left to those of the intellectual capabilities to understand them.

Yeghes da

Last edited:

Chons da

How so? Surely it is true to that the genes are diluted 1:2 after each generation.

How so? Surely it is true to that the genes are diluted 1:2 after each generation.

No it's 50% dilution. Assuming the queen has mated with non similar races.
Each worker bee has 50% of her chromosomes from her mum,. and 50% from her dad (drone)....nowt complicated about it. So if queen is pure strain and has mated with local mongrel all her female offspring will be 50% local 50% whatever she was. Any queens cells and future queens are exactly the same, 50% of what they where and this statistical halving of original genes continues for each subsequent generation. There are a few exceptions but not enough to change the 50% dilution of the original gene-pool at each subsequent generation.

Last edited:
Beefriendly;654662 if queen is pure strain and has mated with local mongrel all her offspring will be 50% local 50% whatever she was. .[/QUOTE said:
Almost right.
Her FEMALE offspring will be 50:50. Her MALE offspring will be 100% pure.
This assumes that none of the original queens survive to seed the environment with their drones. The relationships are a Fibonacci series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB36WflF7_U)

Last edited:
Almost right.
Her FEMALE offspring will be 50:50. Her MALE offspring will be 100% pure.[/QUOT
Yes B+...put it in context I was talking about female lineages and down stream generations.
I decided not to complicate things unnecessarily by talking about haploid drones.
It's all too easy to "show off ones knowledge" at the risk of confusing the reader....and you are not correct either. Male offspring are rarely 100% pure anything due the considerations of crossovers and random segregation at meiosis.
Their sperm, however, are extremely genetically uniform.

Last edited:
Far more complex... "good" genes can also be retained or even enhanced, which is what BA was doing with his "Buckfast" pedigrees.

Chons da

You see it next summer. Just wait.
. Virgins have big variation because mother has mated with 15 unknown fathers.

And from where you got the pure mother. Who told to you.

Last edited:
You see it next summer. Just wait.
. Virgins have big variation because mother has mated with 15 unknown fathers.

And from where you got the pure mother. Who told to you.

Not if you use AI from one drone!
BA did this

Yeghes da

Almost right.
Her FEMALE offspring will be 50:50. Her MALE offspring will be 100% pure.[/QUOT
Yes B+...put it in context I was talking about female lineages and down stream generations.
I decided not to complicate things unnecessarily by talking about haploid drones.
It's all too easy to "show off ones knowledge" at the risk of confusing the reader....and you are not correct either. Male offspring are rarely 100% pure anything due the considerations of crossovers and random segregation at meiosis.
Their sperm, however, are extremely genetically uniform.

Oh PLEASE do not hold back with informing us mere plebs about your superior knowledge.... :winner1st:

Here we go... spitting hares again!:calmdown::calmdown::calmdown:

Nadelik Lowen

Back