Pensioners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When will it be accepted as just another type of hive (or 2), and not the work of the Devil?

I don't think it is anymore.
Beginners need to realise that you cannot run two colonies in it permanently unless you have a couple of spare 14 x 12s or another Beehaus to AS into.
You have to remember that a lot of beekeepers like to fiddle in the workshop so making a wooden version....ie a Dartington type is more appealing and for them much more cost effective. Beekeepers like economy :)

I have been working two beehauses for the last two years with ups and downs along the way. I am just processing our current honey crop..please pm me if you would like some unbiased warts and all advice based on our experiences.

I'd love to know. Can you post on the forum?

I don't think it is anymore.
Beginners need to realise that you cannot run two colonies in it permanently unless you have a couple of spare 14 x 12s or another Beehaus to AS into.
You have to remember that a lot of beekeepers like to fiddle in the workshop so making a wooden version....ie a Dartington type is more appealing and for them much more cost effective. Beekeepers like economy :)

I think there is a bit of prejudice in beekeeping against things that are made from plastic and also things that are perceived as expensive or restrictive (the Dartington & the beehaus push both these buttons). I don't think there's a prejudice against the 'Long hive' as a beekeeping concept - it works for me so far and I've seen some lovely examples of this type of hive. It reduces the need for lifting and if you site the hive at the right height then what lifting you are doing (frames) can be done at the most comfortable height for you. A lot of long hives have hinged roofs which means there's no roof to lift off and this has some benefit as well. There's quite a few downsides to a long hive of any sort - they are not as productive in terms of the amount of honey you can harvest and it's not so easy to 'super' them. They are generally heavier and less easy to move around but for the hobby beekeeper, perhaps one not as fit and mobile as they might be, they really do provide an option to keep bees. It's early days for me with my hive but so far so good. (Not sure I would buy a beehaus though ... plastic prejudice runs deep !! Pockets not deep enough either !)

For a lot less than you are going to pay for a Beehaus (which have an awful reputation amongst virtually all beekeepers) you could get a local carpenter to knock up a top bar or Dartington style long hive which can be handled by people who are unable to lift and need a hive at a level they can be manipulated from a sitting position. Much better option than the plastic thing ...

I agree. The legs can be made as short as you need them for easy inspection. No extra boxes needed or building of frames. Honey comb cut out and put in an easy to carry bucket rather than carting frames around. Might need a beekeeping friend to help you with artificial swarming.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back