Pensioners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplywords

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Hi

I worked very hard from the age of 15 (between and alongside doing courses at Uni for my two careers) and over the years have wondered what I would do when I retired. Retired meaning some strange thing that would affect me, but not likely to hit for some many years.
I retired at Christmas 2012, with two chosen things that I have always been fascinated by, and which were not possible during my work life.
I first 'met' bees as a kid, when our next door neighbour would fascinate me by coming over to show me a bumble bee that settled on his finger and which he used to stroke the top of, when I was about 7 years old. Then I wanted to find out more about the other things that flew. I discovered that indeed there were differences between different flying insects, but living on the edges of an industrial town, there was no way I could pursue this further. I retained my interest and contacted a couple who do beekeeping classes and am signed on - I am looking forward to starting the course at the end of the month.
I am a disabled person and although I can walk short distances if on a firm, flat surface, I cannot stand up for long, so have been talking to the course leaders in advance. They have an Omlet beehaus, which they use to demonstrate on their courses, which they are going to sell to me for half price as I would be able to sit close to the beehaus.

The other major interest again it started from my early days when I was enthralled whilst watching my father re-sole the family's shoes and loved the smell of the leather. So, I am beginning to learn about the making of leather goods. I have so far made a belt for my husband, but was lesson one.
I have been allowing my remaining grey cell to ponder on what, if anything, to do with beekeeping could I make out of leather. So far no answers though.

I am really looking forward to the beekeeper course, and to have my own bees. It's great to have discovered this forum, and will be keeping an eye on what's happening, to get information and help....that's a wonderful part of this, the easy and friendly way beekeepers offer help and support.

Hi

. They have an Omlet beehaus, which they use to demonstrate on their courses, which they are going to sell to me for half price as I would be able to sit close to the beehaus.

if they have experience of beekeeping with the omlet beehaus you could probably knock them down further, maybe make another belt and offer them that ?

Hi, first thing which came to mind, re leather and beekeeping, was bellows for a smoker. A small part but a necessary one for most.

Welcome to the forum.

RAB

Limited uses for leather in beekeeping!
Gaiters for those with a dislike of Wellington boots or rigger boots !
Stings to the ankles are particularly painful!
Welcome to the forum :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if they have experience of beekeeping with the omlet beehaus you could probably knock them down further, maybe make another belt and offer them that ?
Good thought thanks....this is to be the last course as they are selling up and going away for some years. They've never used the beehaus, other than to show it as part of their courses. As they are selling up, to go, they offered the beehaus for half price but 'as new'. I thought that a bargain, but maybe I have launched before getting my life jacket on?

simplywords

I would remove your address from your info as it is viewable to everyone.

Good thought thanks....this is to be the last course as they are selling up and going away for some years. They've never used the beehaus, other than to show it as part of their courses. As they are selling up, to go, they offered the beehaus for half price but 'as new'. I thought that a bargain, but maybe I have launched before getting my life jacket on?

If you manage to get the beehaus cheap why not resell it on e-bay and buy yourself a decent hive and have the change spare to buy other sundries ?
The only beehauses I've seen effectively used are ones left in the apiary to store spare equipment for the other hives.

If you manage to get the beehaus cheap why not resell it on e-bay and buy yourself a decent hive and have the change spare to buy other sundries ?
The only beehauses I've seen effectively used are ones left in the apiary to store spare equipment for the other hives.

:iagree:

Even half price is about £220.00 too much. At least if they'd made it from metal it could have been used as a barbecue!
Getting spare bits, broods for artificial swarms etc could be (a very expensive) PITA.

this is to be the last course as they are selling up and going away for some years.
Yerrrs - and getting shot of a white elephant in the process I think

For a lot less than you are going to pay for a Beehaus (which have an awful reputation amongst virtually all beekeepers) you could get a local carpenter to knock up a top bar or Dartington style long hive which can be handled by people who are unable to lift and need a hive at a level they can be manipulated from a sitting position. Much better option than the plastic thing ...

So, I am beginning to learn about the making of leather goods. I have so far made a belt for my husband, but was lesson one.
I have been allowing my remaining grey cell to ponder on what, if anything, to do with beekeeping could I make out of leather.

Could you make an equipment caddy or a tool belt? (For the beekeeper who has everything!)

Thick leather tends not to burn easily, but a hot smoker might burn things it comes into contact with. Could you make a leather "something" to keep a smoker in, or to stand one on? (Probably a lousy idea actually.)

Could you make an equipment caddy or a tool belt? (For the beekeeper who has everything!)

Thick leather tends not to burn easily, but a hot smoker might burn things it comes into contact with. Could you make a leather "something" to keep a smoker in, or to stand one on? (Probably a lousy idea actually.)

Leather pads for the inside of your beesuit legs so that when you hold your smoker between your legs it stops the bee suit scorching ?

Leather pads for the inside of your beesuit legs so that when you hold your smoker between your legs it stops the bee suit scorching ?

I've always wanted some of those cowboy trousers with the arse flap at the back, is that the same thing ?

... They've never used the beehaus, other than to show it as part of their courses. ...
You should ask yourself why that might be.

My suggestion would be a top bar hive, with legs of a length to suit your needs.
Probably cheaper, new, than a half-price beehaus.
And much more appropriate.
I'm not sure I'd fancy examining a 14x12 frame from a sitting position ...

Gloves (tin hat on...)
Luminos - whimsical posts are fun, but can be misleading for newbees.
In this case, Simplywords probably has no idea of why you would suggest "tin hat on", or the arguments against leather gloves for beekeeping.

Another "in joke" that can only confuse the newbee.
Less than helpful.

Last edited:
SimplWords
Welcome

Please excuse our banter - bees make us act silly especially after a long winter... "cabin fever".

A Beehaus is an expensive piece of kit but if cheap (£220 is not cheap) might be worthwhile. But as you are a beginner and will need help from someone who knows what they are doing.. not many Beehaus owners around...

If you have this kind of saw, you may make all kind of things in bee hobby.

with 100 £ you get a good enough saw. You may do frames woods, boxes, floors, covers....

Table-Saw-Safety-Parody-On-Comedy-Central.jpg

Latest posts

Back