Patchy brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
My recently arrived swarms brood is very patchy. Do queens sometimes take a while to settle?
e5e2ymer.jpg

They are grumpy too. Got stung before I even opened the hive today!

Time and patience! She will probably come right!
E

Thanks for the replies. Not all of the cells in that pic are domed are they?

Looks like mostly worker brood to me - you can see one open drone cell about halfway down three cells in from the left. If the queen is laying as they are drawing wax then the cells will not be deep enough in places so some may seem raised - don't look domed to me

Last edited:
I had similar experience earlier in May this yr with a newly mated queen. They are doing really well now and she hardly misses a cell when laying up a clean patch. Had the raised open cells like the middle left in quite high numbers also. I'm pretty sure they were re-opening the cells but this has also calmed down. Give her a month to get the hang of it and observe for any abnormalities or signs of disease to keep ahead of the game.

Looks okay to me too. Remember that when the area of comb is limited it has to serve several purposes at once so there might not be as many cells available for brooding as there will be when they have more to use. If there's a flow on and they are using the income to fuel wax production, they won't mind using soon to be brood cells as storage / processing space in the relatively short term.

Latest posts

Back