Panic stricken

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Put my maqs treatment on last Monday , called today to have a quick look and found a lot of dead bees around the hive.
Didn't have much time to have a look inside. So I called back around 7 pm ,looked inside only to find hundreds of dead bees . I rung my mentor who wasn't reachable so in a panic stricken mode I returned and took off the maqs strips. Since then I found out that this is quite normal to kill off some bees in the process . I'm now at home with quite a few stings :hairpull:.
Is this normal and should I put the maqs strips back on tomorrow when they have calmed down

Thanks

I've used MAQS two years now and I've not found dead bees around the hives. This treatment does not require the closedown that apiguard does, my hives are left as they are with OMF, entrance and crownboard not altered.
Resist the temptation to go look because you'll just worry yourself. Treat and leave them is best.
You could put them back on, doubt they'll be happy though.

I was worried about using MAQS, queens disappearing and bees absconding and similar stories.

On for a week and taken off on Saturday when there were a good lot of eggs no dead bees

Wl use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm reading this with interest as I've put MAQS on today - first time I've used them. It says "7 day treatment " on the plastic box - so remove them next Wednesday ?

And I've got a great many dead bees around my hives - very alarming when I first saw them about 4-5 days ago! I went out around dusk with a torch - all drones. You could be right, Dusty !

Hi yes I lest the super on , I put the maqs on top of the brood box

Hi
No the majority were worker bees

I wouldn't worry, I have several hives and they all react differently, sometimes I have a pile of dead bees and sometimes I don't. I have no idea why. That is why you should always use MAQS while there is still time for a queen to be replaced just in case one of the dead bees is HM. The first time I was worried by the amount of dead bees but the hive came through fine. I have never lost a queen to my knowledge but I have had one that superseded while the MAQS was on, that could have been coincidence. I find them easy to use and the seven day usage is the biggest bonus. After the third day they just ignore the strips and by the seventh day they are easy to take off with no aggravation. The first couple of days are the worst!
I would use another method this year, maybe apiguard or so etching and try again next year!
All the best
E

Yes, the important thing to know about MAQS is that it is best to treat well before "Apiguard-time".

Apiguard cannot be used until after you have removed your crop. So folk reasonably delay using it until the season is effectively over.
MAQS can (and preferably should) be used while there are still supers on the hive. The extra hive volume from the supers 'cushions the blow' AND, if there should be any problem with Q, there's plenty time to sort things out before winter. It doesn't taint the honey, so it can be used much earlier - and I'd advise that it should be used earlier than Apiguard.

I wouldn't worry, I have several hives and they all react differently, sometimes I have a pile of dead bees and sometimes I don't. I have no idea why. That is why you should always use MAQS while there is still time for a queen to be replaced just in case one of the dead bees is HM. The first time I was worried by the amount of dead bees but the hive came through fine. I have never lost a queen to my knowledge but I have had one that superseded while the MAQS was on, that could have been coincidence. I find them easy to use and the seven day usage is the biggest bonus. After the third day they just ignore the strips and by the seventh day they are easy to take off with no aggravation. The first couple of days are the worst!
I would use another method this year, maybe apiguard or so etching and try again next year!
All the best
E

Thank you very much for the advise I feel better reading your comments . With it being my first season I had a Vision of loosing all my bees in the space of a week

Thanks again
Mick

Yes, the important thing to know about MAQS is that it is best to treat well before "Apiguard-time".

Apiguard cannot be used until after you have removed your crop. So folk reasonably delay using it until the season is effectively over.
MAQS can (and preferably should) be used while there are still supers on the hive. The extra hive volume from the supers 'cushions the blow' AND, if there should be any problem with Q, there's plenty time to sort things out before winter. It doesn't taint the honey, so it can be used much earlier - and I'd advise that it should be used earlier than Apiguard.

All the best
E

Thanks Mickeyboy for posting this thread and good to hear that things are settling for you.
I just want to add that I've found the advice and comments really helpful too as I've been pretty anxious about using MAQS.
This is such a helpful forum :thanks:

Latest posts

Back