Painting poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have just purchased two poly nucs and have read the threads about painting but are unsure what to paint. Do I paint just the outside or do I have to do the inside as well ?

Have just purchased two poly nucs and have read the threads about painting but are unsure what to paint. Do I paint just the outside or do I have to do the inside as well ?
Just paint the outside with masonry paint. Never treat the inside of a hive.

Is there a feeder with it?

The nucs do have feeders that I think are miller feeders.

The nucs do have feeders that I think are miller feeders.
Maismore poly nuc?

It's best to paint the inside of the feeder, but this only needs to be the area that holds liquid.

Poly nucs that aren't painted apparently don't last as long. If the inside of the feeder isn't painted, liquid can seep through which then attracts wasps (which in turn chew holes in the side of the feeder).

I've done some with masonry paint and some with the cuprinol shades that I use for my cedar hives.

Both last equally well.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a poly nuc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A poly nuc is a nucleus hive typically containing 5-6 frames (a full hive contains 10. "Poly" stands for high density polystyrene - replacing the traditional wood that hives used to be (and still are) made from.

Nucs are used to house a small colony of bees.
The polystyrene gives far better insulation and is lighter. It can be mass produced and is (much) cheaper to make than a wooden hive.

I find it’s a good idea to paint the insides too, some of my bees chewed the insides.........mainly the Apis Beaverinica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have good quality nucs there is no need to paint the inside and good reason not to as the bees will coat it with propolis to keep it disinfected.

Nor should you paint any mating surfaces when dealing with poly kit.

PH

Some of the "Copy" little polly Apideas have been eaten by waxmoth, but the Keilers have not been touched... same with the Masie with the horrid top feeder.. moth damage!

Something to do with the type of polly??

As we clean and get readied for next season the lot is going to get the Ehtanoic acid treat!

Read somewhere that waxmoth eat polystyrene and other plastics, and may be a solution to the mountain of plastic strangling this planet... perhaps a non plastisised paint would be advantageous?

Yeghes da

If you have good quality nucs there is no need to paint the inside and good reason not to as the bees will coat it with propolis to keep it disinfected.

Nor should you paint any mating surfaces when dealing with poly kit.

PH

I apply Vaseline to the mating surfaces of the polystyrene hives. It eases separation and reduces the potential for damage with the hive tool.

Latest posts

Back