Paint or stain!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I’ve got some new supers and brood boxes but which is suitable paint or stain?
Is there anything I should avoid apart from high VOC …

Cedar WBC hives maybe a couple pine nationals also

I’d go stain paint is just creating future work and as far as I’m concerned actually traps moisture in single skin hives causing rot….wbc outer lifts not so much.
I’ve simply dipped my new boxes from the sale.

I’d go stain paint is just creating future work and as far as I’m concerned actually traps moisture in single skin hives causing rot….wbc outer lifts not so much.
I’ve simply dipped my new boxes from the sale.
:iagree:
However, Cedar needs nothing

I’ll happily disagree on that 1 with a particular reference to seconds boxes!
I've got stacks of second quality boxes, had them for absolutely years - apart from colour, they are no different now than from when I first bought them

I've got stacks of second quality boxes, had them for absolutely years - apart from colour, they are no different now than from when I first bought them
My stacks bigger than yours😉
Hivemaker recommended coating seconds, I’ll take his experience!

Over a number of years the only decay failure I’ve had is in the bottom rail of one deep brood box, made from Western red cedar. This was presumably home grown (UK) cedar not Canadian and it was probably sapwood with little or no durability above pine sapwood. The natural preservative in Western red cedar is soluble and will leach out over a long period of time so some sealing at the joint ends (e.g. glue of your choice) and a surface coating (paint, stain or oil) is a good idea, whichever you think is the least long term maintenance option. Colour is a personal choice…..

None can suggest that any wood including cedar does not benefit from a coat of something. What that is or how much you want to spend doing it is down to the individual. With regard to the above pic I think S&B got Brought out by thornes about 40 years ago and that box looks like it’s sat on the floor since then!…Even painted or stained I’d not expect anything to survive unscathed😂
As an example a lady I help set up a few years ago. The boxes she brought then have started to deteriorate, joints have pulled timber has split and some areas particularly on joints have gone soft/rotted. These are seconds from a main supplier, in comparison boxes purchased the same time on the hive next door look good and simply require another coat on top of the single coat they had at the time. There was some difference in the construction of those boxes I’ve had a little more experience than her!! but it proves the point that a little more effort at the time pays off.

Steele and Brodie cedar.

View attachment 35213

Last edited:
We can easily get into echo chambers and end up creating new myths
One being that cedar has some sort of divine immortality.
The the box had only been sat on the floor for twenty years!
Actually I levelled off the rot and turned it into a very successful bait hive so in some way it has lived on...

Latest posts

Back