Oxalic trickling losses after treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it only me who sometimes feels like shouting:

"Finman look over there - a Black Pot!!"

:sorry: Only asking

Don't throw poo on messenger!

And what was the original message: Trickling is not only which kill bees in winter and it is my fault.

Last edited:
Last year was my first winter. I had one hive. I treated with OA the first week in January because I was lead to believe that it was i should do. The bees did not make it through the winter. I do not know if this was directly linked to the use of OA or not.
This year I have 4 hives, I have treated in other ways and have not used OA yet although I have not ruled it out completely if I use OA this year it will be because I feel it is the right thing for each hive, not because people on here or elsewhere tell me I should without even knowing anything about my bees, other than the number of hives I keep.

(ducks back beneath the parapet to avoid the flying poo!)

OA treatment kills around 20% of the bees and if you slice a dead bee in half a few weeks after tratment they look like they have been pickeled in brown vinagar. I have treated with OA on only two occations and both times i have seen a reduction in the size of the cluster follow soon after. If the bees were stressed or in a weak condition at the time of treatment i do not think they would see another spring

Have treated by trickling with Oxalic Acid (4.5%) the last 8 winters without any apparent problem. Colonies that die out would have died out anyway...Nosema or Queen loss usually the culprit......

I really do not understand British resistance to a well studied solution for Varroa infestation....

If colonies belonging to Fred beek were treated and didnt die out, and other colonies that belong to Sid the beek were not treated and also didnt die.....

:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

If colonies belonging to Fred beek were treated and didnt die out, and other colonies that belong to Sid the beek were not treated and also didnt die.....

:sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

Over my head I'm afraid ,
What other regime did Sid use ? Or, did he leave them to their own devices ?
VM

Why treat with OA if it's not needed?

because you are worried that if they die it will be because you didnt treat them.

Over my head I'm afraid ,
I doubt it.

What other regime did Sid use ? Or, did he leave them to their own devices ?
VM

Lets say half had alternative treatment and the other half had no treatemnt at any time.

and would Fred's have died if he hadnt treated them?????

Have treated by trickling with Oxalic Acid (4.5%) the last 8 winters without any apparent problem. Colonies that die out would have died out anyway...Nosema or Queen loss usually the culprit......

I really do not understand British resistance to a well studied solution for Varroa infestation....

without any apparent problem
but not sure?

Colonies that die out would have died out anyway...Nosema or Queen loss usually the culprit.
Better management perhaps.

I really do not understand British resistance to a well studied solution for Varroa infestation
I dont think anybody actually opposed its use.......they just dont use it because they feel its not needed.

but
I dont think anybody actually opposed its use.......they just dont use it because they feel its not needed.

What ever the discussion headline, it is allways "me no use oxalic" and "me no varroa" or "me when needed".

Very progressive

What ever the discussion headline, it is allways "me no use oxalic" and "me no varroa" or "me when needed".

Very progressive

well, with respect it was you who told everybody that bees will die if they are not treated with OA, and some people pointed out that they dont use OA on thier colonies. Why? Because they have found out either by experiment, or experience through fault, that their bees didnt die when not treated with OA.

I'm sorry that your bees will die if you dont treat them with OA.

What might be beekeeping without 2-hive owners' wisdom!

-

I wasnt offering wisdom for the simple reason that with only two full years of beekeeping experience I doubt that I have anything much to offer to somebody who has been keeping bees for 50 and a bit years.

In fact I was offering nothing at all other than pointing out to you that it is you who is saying that bees will die if not treated with OA.. and there are other people here who dont agree with you for the simple reason that they didnt treat and their bees didnt die.
If your bees die if not treated and mine do not, perhaps .....well..

I that it is you who is saying that bees will die if not treated with OA....

Rubbish. UK has used oxalic only few years and your hives have not died.

There are 20 others methods to treat varroa, as it has happened before oxalic acid was invented.

I met my first varroa hive 1982. Count from that.

I have participated here to discussions when oxalic antagonists start to represent their nonsense.

Last edited:
I would expect that most of you would have some faith that your doctor would give you the best possible treatment. Medicine now is all evidence based. As a medical practitioner that evidence gives me guidance. It is then up to me to interpret the evidence presented to me by my patient at the time, in the light of that guidance.
Two things to bear in mind - Varroa is endemic. All medicines ( OA included ) are poisons . Prescribing is a balancing act, as is OA treatment.
I treated all my hives this year.

Rubbish. UK has used oxalic only few years and your hives have not died.

There are 20 others methods to treat varroa, as it has happened before oxalic acid was invented.

I met my first varroa hive 1982. Count from that.

I have participated here to discussions when oxalic antagonists start to represent their nonsense.

I can understand a language problem but I think you seem to have lost the plot of the discussion.

You said that bees will die if not treated. I didnt say it neither did anybody else. It was you.

Now you are saying that because UK has been using OA for a few years that that is why we still have some bees.

and for what reason is it that hives not treated with OA have not died?

oxalic antagonists start to represent their nonsense.

So saying they dont use it for whatever reason is antagonistic nonsense?

Last edited:
I can understand a language problem but I think you seem to have lost the plot of the discussion.

You said that bees will die if not treated. I didnt say it neither did anybody else. It was you.

Now you are saying that because UK has been using OA for a few years that that is why we still have some bees.

and for what reason is it that hives not treated with OA have not died?

So saying they dont use it for whatever reason is antagonistic nonsense?

blaa blaa blaa
vaari muorin saa
kaikuvi suloinen Suomenmaa

= blaa blaa blaa
granpa gets granmom
echo goes over lovely Finnish motherland

Last edited:
I still only use oa to strip paint, I have never used it, never had a winter loss through anything other than starvation ( totally my fault) and have run anything up to twenty hives. IMHO just because bees are alive after oa treatment doesn't mean that they would be dead if you didn't use it.
E

Latest posts

Back