Oxalic treatment and a veil full of angry bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwenlock

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday with a hard frost and a temp of only 2c I thought it would be an ideal day to treat with oxalic solution. On opening the hives I was, to my surprise, met with very active bees. My reward whilst treating therefore was a veil full of angry bees, some of which followed me out of the apiary.

Everything I have read suggests the bees should have been lethargic and docile. This was definately not the case.

Has anyone else had this problem or have I got an aggressive colony? Perhaps in need of a requeen next year?

They were fine until you pulled the roof of their nice warm house, lwenlock.

I did mine yesterday and after a few seconds there was a mild flurry upwards of angry bees, but once the oxalic solution was going on, they were not too bad.

Only the one across eight seams was more lively as I couldn't dribble the solution over them quick enough to prevent them flying.

It's no wonder that OA Sublimation is becoming more popular ?

Hooray for that - bees suffer less that way and it's more effective too. Taken a long time for that to be taken on board but thank goodness it's the coming thing. Just hope that the scientists will eventually find a genetic mod to the varroa that will neuter the basxxxds or something of that ilk so the bees can be left to do their own thing - until something else like shb of course!!!!.

I also did my oxalic treatment yesterday and added some fondant to one hive where I felt the stores were looking thinner than I would have liked. In both hives the bees were not happy to be disturbed, though I was heartened to see the colony looked in good condition as we reach the half way point in terms of winter. I left them nicely covered and with good protection from wind, rain and snow if and when it arrives. Hopefully, things will remain generally mild and a dry spring should set up the season nicely.

Perhaps in need of a requeen next year?
It's hardly a fair test! Colonies being bad-tempered in these circumstances is a recurrent theme on here. I would forget you thought that, if I were you, and expect a docile colony in spring. If you do not have one then, on a number of separate occasions, then by all means think that thought.

Yesterday with a hard frost and a temp of only 2c I thought it would be an ideal day to treat with oxalic solution. On opening the hives I was, to my surprise, met with very active bees. My reward whilst treating therefore was a veil full of angry bees, some of which followed me out of the apiary.

Everything I have read suggests the bees should have been lethargic and docile. This was definately not the case.

Has anyone else had this problem or have I got an aggressive colony? Perhaps in need of a requeen next year?

Having dosed around a dozen hives on the 27th with trickle2 bottles None of the bees were aggressive. Yes they started flying when the roof came off and the light flooded in. Most settled on my suit and many took a dump as the Americans say but none tried to sting me as evinced by no stings in suit or veil. I brushed the bees off my suit onto the landing board as each hive was closed up again.
Calm steady movements without wasting time and confidence with bees are key to the matter.

I did my 3 colonies on Boxing Day. All 3 were calm just sticking their backsides in the air and fanning. I must admit I expected the worst as I have one very aggressive colony and 2 calm ones. I also but a bag of Ambrosia on each of the 2 calm colonies, but the aggressive one is so heavy I cannot lift it.

Would this be because we haven't yet had a reasonable period of cold weather-at least in Suffolk?
Bees have been quite active so if I was to open the colony up would I see brood? I suspect so-Oxalic is best applied when colony is brood less.....
My beginners thoughts.....pray for at least three weeks of cold weather, queen off lay and all brood hatched? After being frozen for three / four weeks colony strongly clustered, stay nice and still while Oxalic applied.....as I said, just a beginners thoughts.

It's no wonder that OA Sublimation is becoming more popular ?

IF beekeepers kept up to date and bothered to read the peer reviewed information in regard to Varroa treatment it would seem along with many other outmoded methodology, pouring sticky liquids over bees and unnecessary disruption and possibly cruel manipulations would be a thing of the past.

James

IF beekeepers kept up to date and bothered to read the peer reviewed information in regard to Varroa treatment it would seem along with many other outmoded methodology, pouring sticky liquids over bees and unnecessary disruption and possibly cruel manipulations would be a thing of the past.

James

If people would get off their high horses for a moment and take a step back (we all know some people's unfoulded dislike for OA trickling from the beginning - and their liking for talking tripe) - OA trickling is still an effective method. And is fumigating them with Oxalic vapour any less 'cruel' than trickling? let's grow up here shall we.
Everything in beekeeping goes through phases, look how 'fashionable' MAQS was but a few seasons back - a lot have woken up to the hype surrounding that and realised now that it's not the golden bullet they all thought it was.
Nothing wrong with sublimation,(might even give it a bash myself) but has more pitfalls for the beginner and 'two hive owner' (let alone the expense) than trickling.
At the moment it's just the new shiny thing and on a forum like this it's bound to be discussed a lot which makes it seem to be very 'fashionable.

At the moment it's just the new shiny thing and on a forum like this it's bound to be discussed a lot which makes it seem to be very 'fashionable.

About as new and shiny as my 2002 Suzuki Vitara!

May the coming year peace and plenty bring to all who Wassail! hear!

James

I agree with Jenkinsbrynmair. Although I have been keeping bees on and off for 50 years, this is the first time I have treated for Varroa. The Oxalic acid dribble treatment, as far as I was concerned, was easy to apply, cheap, no expensive equipment required and safe if gloves are used. I did not notice any undue problems with the bees, but the hive must be opened gently and the treatment must be applied quickly to prevent loss of heat from the hive.

The Varrox treatment is cheap for Oxalic acid but the equipment is expensive for those beekeepers with only a few colonies, and requires additional PPE.

Therefore, the dribble treatment is the most suitable for those beekeepers with a few colonies, especially if they purchase their materials ready made from their Association.

I think the overwhelming advantage of vaping over trickling is that you can do it more than once. For trickling to work first time, the colony has to be broodless. That is a matter of guesswork unless you do a full inspection. I have done that (on 18 Dec 2013, in 10C with bees flying in a big way), and would do that, but prefer to vape, with the possibility of a repeat if evidence of brood is seen at any stage.

Would this be because we haven't yet had a reasonable period of cold weather-at least in Suffolk?
Bees have been quite active so if I was to open the colony up would I see brood? I suspect so-Oxalic is best applied when colony is brood less.....
My beginners thoughts.....pray for at least three weeks of cold weather, queen off lay and all brood hatched? After being frozen for three / four weeks colony strongly clustered, stay nice and still while Oxalic applied.....as I said, just a beginners thoughts.

Careful with this idea,the trigger for queens to get going with laying up a brood nest isn't necessarily temperature, length of daylight and pollen resources are more important.

Back