Hive Progress

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullerBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I think my hive is progressing well but would be happy to hear thoughts from those with more experience! Here is extract from my records thus far:

24th June: Hive was created by moving a 5 frame Nuc into National standard brood box with 5 frames of foundation added 2 on one side and 3 on the other. From the back, where I work, frames have been numbered 1 -10 from right to left. So frame 1 & 2 are new, 3,4,5,6,7 from the Nuc and 8,9, 10 also new foundation.

30th June, 10.30am, 17 degrees, bright, gentle breeze:
F1, no comb
F2, Partial comb on brood side only
3,4,5,6,7 Visible pollen, honey some uncapped but also capped around outside edge, capped and uncapped larvae, eggs also seen.
F8, Partial comb on brood side only
F9, 10 no comb

Notes: Bees couldn't have been calmer - didn't seem to notice my presence.
super added because i know it will be about a fortnight before i can inspect again.

15th July, 4.30pm, 23 degrees, full sun, slight breeze:
Super - 11 Frames of foundation, no comb
Brood Box
F1, partial comb on brood side
F2, both sides drawn, empty or honey
F3,4,5,6,7 - capped brood, a few drone cells but mostly workers, pollen, capped honey around outer edges, uncapped larvae seen. Burr comb on top for F4 joining onto QE. (burr left in place this time)
F8, both sides drawn, some eggs on brood side, other side empty/some uncapped honey
F9, Partial comb on brood side only
F10 no comb

Notes: A few bees in super but not doing much. Bees much more interested in me today. At least one stung my glove and a few guards 'head butting' the veil.

So in 15 days the bees appear to have drawn comb on four sides of new foundation frames and whilst I still haven't seen the queen, plenty evidence that she's there and no signs of any QC. I wasn't expecting super to start getting used yet so no surprise with that. I'm also not feeding them as are very actively collecting pollen/nectar.

I unfortunately don't have a hive to compare with so curious if this is good growth - it certainly seems consistent at about 2 side being drawn per week in brood box. I am anticipating needing to feed as summer gives way to autumn to ensure enough resources for winter. Any other thoughts/comments on growth etc? TIA

Personally, I tend to give them only a couuple of frames to draw at any one time - dummy down the rest of the brood box with a block of Kingspan. The more space they have to work in the harder they have to work.

I don't put a super on until I have at least 6 or 7 frames of brood in my 14 x 12 and it does not look as though you are anywhere need that ... what you may find is that they draw comb up in an arc in the centre of the super and start filling that with honey. I would have thought they would have been fine just left in a brood box without the super for the next couple of weeks ...

Edit ,,, looks like JBM beat me to it ...

Lose the super - it's not needed until they've drawn out all the deep frames and you have seven or eight frames full of brood
Thanks. It’ll be gone first thing tomorrow t
Personally, I tend to give them only a couuple of frames to draw at any one time - dummy down the rest of the brood box with a block of Kingspan. The more space they have to work in the harder they have to work.

I don't put a super on until I have at least 6 or 7 frames of brood in my 14 x 12 and it does not look as though you are anywhere need that ... what you may find is that they draw comb up in an arc in the centre of the super and start filling that with honey. I would have thought they would have been fine just left in a brood box without the super for the next couple of weeks ...

Edit ,,, looks like JBM beat me to it ...
Thanks. I’ll take super off tomorrow morning first thing.

…Great minds think alike! 😊

Is there a risk that doing this could encourage swarm preps....I’m guessing not (or else you wouldn’t do it!), but I’m not sure why not?

Latest posts

Back