Oxalic Acid. Other Uses.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I had a mess about today with several of my traps using a watered down solution in warm water, my main idea was to remove dried rotten mole fur from inside, here is a before and after of the same trap after 1hr 30m i was surprised how quick it worked.

IMG_0519_zpsory2bthg.jpg

IMG_0521_zpsg08m1yws.jpg

What do you do with the mole skins and mole meat?

My father was a plumber... I was taught how to wipe a fully plumbed joint at the age of fourteen... although it was then technically illegal for me to use the petrol blowlamp.... still have my tin of mole skins soaked in tallow!

Yeghes da

We used to use an OA solution to clean the brasses on the decks of the old cruiser class cutters - built in the late 1970's they were designed around a motor gunboat hull, built by Brooke Marine in Lowestoft they were proper boats, still doing service somewhere in this world to this day.

You mean they sold off the good boats and have replaced (or not, as more probable) them with incendiary type magnesium alloy row boats because they cannot make decent reliable engines powerful enough to drive them?

I seem to remember it can be used to bleach wood, remove blackening from damp areas?.

Morris Traveller owners might confirm this?

You mean they sold off the good boats and have replaced (or not, as more probable) them with incendiary type magnesium alloy row boats because they cannot make decent reliable engines powerful enough to drive them?

To be honest - they were no longer fit for the new challenges we faced - although a complete and expensive refit would have given us another ten years (maybe) as the hulls were good.
Between 1987 and 2001 in tandem with the cruisers and because we had a chunk of money from the EC we had badly designed unseaworthy aluminium cutters (blame the antipodean idiot in charge not Europe for this one) and one 'island class' steel boat which was pretty good, all built in the UK.
At the turn of the century it was decided to replace all but the Island class (the Sentinel) - British ship builders were either not interested or offered absolute rubbish powered by rubbish engines not fit for purpose so the Damen company in Holland had the contract for four new bigger vessels powered by Caterpillar engines.We part ex'ed the cruisers and the bacofoil boats (also known as bean tins)The 4207's are still going strong and the Sentinel has been replaced by a second hand vessel bought from ........FINLAND!!!!

What do you do with the mole skins and mole meat?

My father was a plumber... I was taught how to wipe a fully plumbed joint at the age of fourteen... although it was then technically illegal for me to use the petrol blowlamp.... still have my tin of mole skins soaked in tallow!

Yeghes da
They get launched in a hedge, i do not have the time or need to mess about skinning them.

I had a mess about today with several of my traps using a watered down solution in warm water, my main idea was to remove dried rotten mole fur from inside, here is a before and after of the same trap after 1hr 30m i was surprised how quick it worked.

IMG_0519_zpsory2bthg.jpg

IMG_0521_zpsg08m1yws.jpg

we used to make clip clean for the use of cleaning scaffolding clips cleaned them up a treat

we used to make clip clean for the use of cleaning scaffolding clips cleaned them up a treat
We used to use sulfuric acid to get all the cement and rust of the fittings and boy did it take your breath away if you got a wiff of the vapour, i can't use that stuff on the traps as it may leave a long lasting smell behind.

If they needed cleaning or would not turn the lot went in regardless, lol.. i can remember around 28ish years ago we would play and pour the raw acid on the concrete and watch it burn a hole through it, none of this health and safety back then.

They get launched in a hedge, i do not have the time or need to mess about skinning them.

Same with all the pheasants murdered in these parts by townies out for a bit of country life!

Quite a few brace turning up at car boots in the City... full of lead shot :nono:

Shirley there must be a use for mole skins ??.. I have a hat made from them!

Yeghes da

Same with all the pheasants murdered in these parts by townies out for a bit of country life!

Is there a difference between a pheasant murdered by a townie or one murdered by a country man?
In one case I can see someone who has made large financial contribution into the local economy and on the other side.....perhaps a poacher needing to steal game to feed his poor starving family of orphans....Not!

Is there a difference between a pheasant murdered by a townie or one murdered by a country man?
In one case I can see someone who has made large financial contribution into the local economy and on the other side.....perhaps a poacher needing to steal game to feed his poor starving family of orphans....Not!

No... I was trying to make a comparative... and missed!

Poachers and those" illegal hunting with dogs" villains seem to be from the town dwelling community(Some sent down in Plymouth Magistrates Court Yesterday for a few months and fined heavily).

My cats bring in the odd mole to play with.... won't even try to eat them!

Not too sure why .

As for oxalic acid... used some on a rusty bullock chain... turned it a nice green colour!

Yeghes da

mole skin, an essential raw material in and fly tiers box, there is no substitute for making flies like the Iron Blue Dun and other various olive dun patterns.

Quite a few brace turning up at car boots in the City... full of lead shot :nono:

Shirley there must be a use for mole skins ??.. I have a hat made from them!

Yeghes da
No use i am afraid as it is not cost effective to mess about skinning and curing them plus a lot of synthetic material on the market these days is much better, if you want what i catch let me know i will send you as many as you want..:D

mole skin, an essential raw material in and fly tiers box, there is no substitute for making flies like the Iron Blue Dun and other various olive dun patterns.
I will have around 50 in the traps over the next several days if you want any.
Something like this every other month.

moles%202015%20009_zpsqekybfyi.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back