Oxalic Acid. Other Uses.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no
Poor moley:(

You have not seen what the b**gers are doing to our lawn and the veg patch, even now.

If SWMBO plants anything and waters it in the worms arrive followed by Mr. Mole and all is uprooted and then dies, great fun.

I've had a year off due to health issues but look out from here on, full on war.

They are an incredible animal but not on our patch. :sorry:

You have not seen what the b**gers are doing to our lawn and the veg patch, even now.

If SWMBO plants anything and waters it in the worms arrive followed by Mr. Mole and all is uprooted and then dies, great fun.

I've had a year off due to health issues but look out from here on, full on war.

They are an incredible animal but not on our patch. :sorry:

The worms and grubs are always there and watering the plants makes no difference, do not water them and the moles will still catch worms and grubs and dig the place up to make more worm and grub traps.
Mole tunnels are basically traps in which they gather food that has dropped into them and the resulting hills are where more food traps are being made.

I don't get them ....much.....in the garden but they are there in our field and apiary. I see frantic activity in Spring and Autumn with little at other times.
I read that in Spring the male moles dig tunnels as part of their courting rituals and in the autumn the new young moles are digging new territory. Beautifully tilled earth though....it goes on our raised beds

I don't get them ....much.....in the garden but they are there in our field and apiary. I see frantic activity in Spring and Autumn with little at other times.
I read that in Spring the male moles dig tunnels as part of their courting rituals and in the autumn the new young moles are digging new territory. Beautifully tilled earth though....it goes on our raised beds

The males do not dig tunnels as part of the courting ritual, they are rampantly in search of female moles, that is why the most damage used to occur in spring and most double catches happen in one trap, well it used to be spring but through climate change there's no limit in the breeding cycle, i catch young moles through out the year, explain that.

Ah no foreplay then.

No they are little savages ,they even eat the ones in the traps, nine times out of ten it is two males in a double catch, they are the ones that cause most of the damage, then a female comes along and builds a fortress for her young, around 2ft wide and 1ft high is the pile of earth above it, like a say amazing little animals.

I was once fortunate to stumble across two moles fighting, they were in an old half buried galvanised water tank in the field behind my grandparents' place (was liekj a little purpose built arena) it was vicious, I could hear them from about twenty yards away.

I will have around 50 in the traps over the next several days if you want any.
Something like this every other month.

moles%202015%20009_zpsqekybfyi.jpg

Thanks for the offer but if the skins are covering the bodies I will kindly decline[emoji193]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was impressed, the Christmas when we had -14 degrees, to see a fresh black molehill appear above several inches of snow. They must be tough little things. (I've not met anyone who reckons they've really cleared their land/garden of moles. After all assaults, moles seem to continue to move in and move away again when it suits them.)

Thanks for the offer but if the skins are covering the bodies I will kindly decline[emoji193]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likewise.... how many mole pelts would it take to make a Flow's hive cosy ?

Just thinking about a present for someone "special" !!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

I was impressed, the Christmas when we had -14 degrees, to see a fresh black molehill appear above several inches of snow. They must be tough little things. (I've not met anyone who reckons they've really cleared their land/garden of moles. After all assaults, moles seem to continue to move in and move away again when it suits them.)
I have set traps in tunnels almost full of water and still caught moles, if the land or garden is surrounded by woodland you will never get rid of them.

Question for Millet
I saw the local farmer standing next to a mole hill on his lawn armed with his 12 bore. He informed me that the moles usually work in bursts of energy of around 45 minutes and with a little patience he usually manages to bag the mole.
It looked affective but a little severe.
Do they work in such bursts of energy resting between?

I use fen mole traps and usually catch a mole and guite quickly if I place the trap in the right area.

Question for Millet
I saw the local farmer standing next to a mole hill on his lawn armed with his 12 bore. He informed me that the moles usually work in bursts of energy of around 45 minutes and with a little patience he usually manages to bag the mole.
It looked affective but a little severe.
Do they work in such bursts of energy resting between?

I use fen mole traps and usually catch a mole and guite quickly if I place the trap in the right area.

Moles have to feed several times per day so they are pretty active, they also have to go around there tunnel system repairing any caved in tunnels from livestock or farm machinery, a lot of farmers are too greedy to pay for someone to trap them for them so they stand with a shotgun waiting for the ground to move, it does work as i have shot a few with the shotgun but it is fairly time consuming and if the field is full of them he will be wasting his time.

Latest posts

Back