Over wintering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keen_bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a small colony which seemed go go off- lay early (early Sept) I added a frame of eggs and brood but no QC drawn so presumably a queen is in the colony. Can I over winter them in this state? I have been feeding ambrosia since mid Sept too.

The honest answer is yes you can but will they survive is in the laps of the gods as always.

You say small, but defined how?

PH

were you treating for varroa at the time they went off lay? it maybe that was the cause for it.

if its a small colony it may also be worth making the brood area smaller, so less for them to heat, either by moving to a nuc or by putting dummy boards into the brood box by removing one or two frames.

were you treating for varroa at the time they went off lay? it maybe that was the cause for it.

if its a small colony it may also be worth making the brood area smaller, so less for them to heat, either by moving to a nuc or by putting dummy boards into the brood box by removing one or two frames.
Yes- my co- bee owner put a double dose (she understands now why this was wrong) so this is also what I thought caused it. Will she return to lay next year?

The queen should have already started to lay again. I wouldnt worry to much about checking though. If you see them taking in pollen that is a general sign that she is laying.

Obivously this time of year they will be taking in pollen for next spring also but they will also be using some for the winter bees. Personally as long as they are flying when its sunny and warm, the hive has plenty of stores, test by hefting, and they are bringing in pollen they have a good hope of getting through winter.

thanks for the encouragement - we''ll see!

Have you now finished treatment and removed the remains?

Yes - 1 week ago. I am feeding ambrosia and put a super with stores under the BB. Can't see pollen going in tho and really think there has been no eggs since mid Sept.

Latest posts

Back