our hives are dead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cold snap we had at the end of last week last week happened very suddenly and the wind was horizontal and bitter. Yesterday I checked on the hive. All dead. Some were still in the bag of fondant I'd put in before the last cold snap. We benefit from the Gulf Stream, and I suppose that over the years they'd acclimatised to the mild weather we get for most of the year.

Hard luck.

I briefly looked in my hives on that warm day Tuesday before last (think it was the 5th) and one of my hives had no stores left and were just starting to starve. I plonked a slab of fondant directly on the frames and a week later it had all gone so I topped up with more fondant and they are just about hanging in there. We need the spring NOW please!!

Yeah, not only am I a beek, I'm also a gardener, I love my job but it gets to this time of year & Ive just had enough.
We need a decent spring.

Winter is not over until the Blackthorne have finished flowering. We always get a false Spring late Feb early March so all we can do is sit tight. Dandelion will tell us when all is clear.

Winter is not over until the Blackthorne have finished flowering. We always get a false Spring late Feb early March so all we can do is sit tight. Dandelion will tell us when all is clear.
Dandelions out here and it's bl**dy freezing :(

wow a lot of bee keepers finding it a challange with this weather, hope next year gives us a good year. lots of luck to all.

well folks thought i would give a little up date to last years rotten luck.
Had a nuc three weeks ago, And glad to say its growning well queen is working like a nutter, on double brood, swaping brood over for constant brood laying bottom to top and top to bottom working well got lots of stores. should be a strong hive for winter as long as they dont swam.

Latest posts

Back