"Other" Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only i could take a picture of my polys to show you... they are not gorgeous like those, they are crumbling to pieces! I am jealous.

Hi SteveH,

I know this is going to sound a bit Big headed but my bees do not propolise the touching edges of the brood box or supers. On saying that I do have one colony in Nat's that stick anything and everything down.

I think its about 2 inches thick the wall of the hives so to dig in with the hive tool is not too bad, remembering to go all round if possible. There is a knack to removing the roof and that is to press down on the centre of the roof and lift one corner, it comes off easy that way. I think they are all OMF mine are anyway.
A word of advice, check on whom is going to supply you with poly hives as some are not the right density of compressed polystyrene.
With today's prolific queens a National brood chamber is too small for them to lay in, therefor I always have my Nat's on double brood chambers.
With my Langs, if she need extra I use a super.

Regards;

The supers take Langs 'Jumbo' not ordinary Langs super frames.

That bits confused me?

I must have a check through my made up Langs frames to see what ones they are in the morning.

Admin,

The supers from Murray are deeper than ordinary supers if you use ordinary Langs super frames there is a big gap at the bottom. The jumbo fits perfectly.

Regards;

Langstroth actually comes in more than one size.

If I was to produce nothing but honey I would be in Langstroth in a flash it is just a better hive than the National which is too small.

Hello, newbee here with first post.

I'm another "other" as far as hive types are concerned. We've got two Dadant hives (though only one colony at present) and the Dadant is a European standard but it may be that it's similar to one of those you've already got listed?

And as I'm in France, it may not be worth adding Dadant to the list. but I just thought I'd mention it.

Welcome Normandy, I am also en France but a bit further south. Dadent is a good hive but a full brood box risks a double hernia if you have to move it!
I brought most of my equipment with me when we moved - a stack of empty brood or super boxes make a great packing case:) Are you looking to increase next season?
Regards Mike

Hello Mike -
Well, we're wondering whether to build ourselves a top bar hive next year but at the moment we're making sure we can walk before we break into anything that might be mistaken for a trot.

We have one colony in a Dadant at the moment another vacant. So yes, we do intend to acquire another colony - perhaps two - next year. We don't plan to get very big because I don't want to harvest vast quantities of honey but for years, I've found bees fascinating creatures so to have the chance to start working with them at last is great.

Latest posts

Back