OSR supers post extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Should I put these back on above a crownboard to get them fully cleaned? (Otherwise if I put them on wet and the bees store more honey on top of any remains of OSR honey will this all go rock hard as a result of seeding by the OSR?) thanks

Should I put these back on above a crownboard to get them fully cleaned? (Otherwise if I put them on wet and the bees store more honey on top of any remains of OSR honey will this all go rock hard as a result of seeding by the OSR?) thanks

Not at all

I do it this way, 24 hours latter and they are clean. I don't like to take the chance of corrupting my summer golden Honey

I do it this way, 24 hours latter and they are clean. I don't like to take the chance of corrupting my summer golden Honey

And where the honey went then?

You mean that I corrupt my 1000 kg summer gold?

Carry on!!!!

When they clean them out where do they put it..............

And where the honey went then?

You mean that I corrupt my 1000 kg summer gold?

Carry on!!!!

Down into the brood box that's where its goes, but after 50 years of experience I would have thought you knew where they store the honey by now.

FYI I said and I quote "I don't like to take the chance"

I didn't say it would, now wined your neck in

Last edited:
Down into the brood box that's where its goes,

Hi Winker,
I will be taking 2/3 supers off of some 14x12 hives this weekend to extract OSR and when I do I will stick at least 1 empty super on each hive so the bees that are displaced have some room. When I put the wet ones back on a couple of days later I was going to put them above the crown board and I expect the bees to clean them and put whatever they find in the recently added super as the brood box is full of............. well, brood.
Once clean I will put at least 2 of them back on as well and the other one into store.
Am I doing something wrong. Why would they put it in the brood box.
Last year I just put them back on and let them refill them but they didnt need them all, the way they are going at the moment and the amount of bees in some hives they just might.
Another query I struggled with last year was when I removed the summer crop and pushed all the bees down in to the brood so I could treat for varroa they wouldnt all fit as they were displaced from 2 / 3 supers.
This being my 3rd summer at this I was hoping to get it right, 1st year no honey so........ no problem !
Cheers

Hi Winker,
I will be taking 2/3 supers off of some 14x12 hives this weekend to extract OSR and when I do I will stick at least 1 empty super on each hive so the bees that are displaced have some room. When I put the wet ones back on a couple of days later I was going to put them above the crown board and I expect the bees to clean them and put whatever they find in the recently added super as the brood box is full of............. well, brood.
Once clean I will put at least 2 of them back on as well and the other one into store.
Last year I just put them back on and let them refill them but they didnt need them all, the way they are going at the moment and the amount of bees in some hives they just might.
Another query I struggled with last year was when I removed the summer crop and pushed all the bees down in to the brood so I could treat for varroa they wouldnt all fit as they were displaced from 2 / 3 supers.
This being my 3rd summer at this I was hoping to get it right, 1st year no honey so........ no problem !
Cheers

I don't give them a super of dawn comb for space, I give them a super of Cut comb foundation to draw out, and put the wet supers on above that. Then take them off 24 hours latter and they are all cleaned up. The bees either use it up there and then making wax to draw out the cut comb foundation or they store it in the Broad box and use it as normal stores.

Edit:
If I don't want Cut Cut comb foundation drawn I replace the Cut Comb Foundation for wire foundation to be drawn. It gives the bees something to do once the OSR is finished, IMHO it keeps there mind off swarming for a while longer.

Last edited:
Related question- what happens to uncapped and under-ripe OSR honey after the flow ends? Presumably less likely to granulate if water content still high and the bees will top up with non-OSR nectar?

Hi Winker,
Cheers

Hi Pete. I extracted my OSR yesterday and today and found that in some of the frames the honey was starting to set in the bottom of the comb cells and doesn't extract, but just remains there. I will give them a little soak in a tin bath full of warm water, shake them out and put them over the hive cover boards to let them clean them out. I should of extracted a little sooner...

Spring rape has started blooming here.

Forecast is next 5 days 25-28C

soil is copletely moist now. I move some hives to rape. Some hives will harvest fireweed.

Last edited:
Related question- what happens to uncapped and under-ripe OSR honey after the flow ends? Presumably less likely to granulate if water content still high and the bees will top up with non-OSR nectar?

You just wait that they bring more honey or you carry your hive to the pasture which give yiedl.

Latest posts

Back