Orchids

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 and 3 nucs...it's swarm time...
I'm sure there's someone out there who can help me!

Chatting to a very elderly local resident, She described how a field adjacent to the meadow I keep my bees on, as being mauve in early spring as orchids flowered. Now, sadly long gone, the lovely lady is in her late 90's

What are the orchids likely to be?

and do bees like them?

and finally, any idea where I can get hold of some

Thanks all,

I'm sure there's someone out there who can help me!

Chatting to a very elderly local resident, She described how a field adjacent to the meadow I keep my bees on, as being mauve in early spring as orchids flowered. Now, sadly long gone, the lovely lady is in her late 90's
What are the orchids likely to be?
and do bees like them?
and finally, any idea where I can get hold of some
Thanks all,

they sound like either 'marsh orchid' or 'early purple orchid'
for images see here http://www.treknature.com/themes.php?thid=510

native hardy orchids are available to purchase, but growing them in a field situation ain't easy! they need low-nutrient soil, and not too much competition from grasses. 'yellow rattle', a parasite of grasses is often a pre-cursor to orchid establishment.

oh, and of no known interest to bees for pollen, and AFAIK they don't have nectaries.
rgds, Tony

The RHS at Rosemoor have used yellow rattle to assist in turning some of their lawns into wildflower meadows. Looks good for the visitors and saves a fortune in mowing.
The yellow rattle seed needs to be sown in Sept. onto tightly mown grass that has the clipping remove to let the seed contact the soil.
A google of Naturescape may assist with further info. They look to be competative on price and very helpful on the phone. Absolutely NO connection by the way.
Tim.:)

not worthy. Thanks Guys. better get busy. The orchids used to be here and if I have my way will be again!

"The RHS at Rosemoor have used yellow rattle to assist in turning some of their lawns into wildflower meadows."

also being used to restore upland hay meadows according to recent radio 4 prog.

"growing them (native hardy orchids) in a field situation ain't easy! they need low-nutrient soil, and not too much competition from grasses."

we have lots in our meadows - mostly around the peripheries where the ground is steeper and rockier but they are found in the main fields themselves - not much regular manuring been done for years plus the usual characteristics of land at altitude (600m).

Latest posts

Back