Orange Bee Suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 and 3 nucs...it's swarm time...
We dealt with the psycho colony yesterday, and as ever, I took a lot of stings and had several bees wriggle into the suit. The good news is that the psychos are hopefully merged onto a nice calm queen and everything will calm down.

I've decided I need a new bee suit. One that has trousers joined to the top so if we get more psychos, I can work confidently. I looked at Sheriff's site, and he has the dayglo orange option. From a purely comedy perspective, I quite fancy the "Guantanamo look". It will amuse the neighbours as well.

Is this as really stupid idea, and likely to make me a bee magnet for every stinging critter for 20 square miles?

Can't see why this would be a problem but I have no direct experience of orange. Personally I'm looking forward to having a fuschia coloured suit when my old one wears out.... Then it will match my flowery wellies.
Cazza

The Guantanamo look appeals.

Would look great with a black veil.

demonstrators-call-for-guantanamo-bay-detention-center-closing-washington-299.jpg

The only thing about orange is that you will be a source of interest to random foragers wherever you go when there is a dearth or early/late season.

They love our kayaks for mass investigation if we have them out at such times...and orange features prominently.

Also, depends if you want to attract attention that says I am a beekeeper and here are my hives.

blue as in denim/ work overalls seems to a neutral to only mildly interesting to bees in my limited experience. It also has the advantage of being inconspicious

Wear Orange if you want to advertise to all lowlife you are doing something which may involve the chance of stealing something.

(ditto white).

I just cannot understand the need to shout to the world.."I've got bees and hives: come and steal them" or
"I am an escaped convict.. tell the police"

Latest posts

Back