Options for queenless colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all,

Our second colony was new to us this year but taken from a colleague with many hives.

The colony has filled the brood and storing well in the super.

Long story short we’ve been queenless for approximately 3 weeks now (no eggs , no larvae and no queen sightings at all during this period). We’ve put two frames of eggs in from our other colony (1 per week) and although there’s currently circa 2-3 queen cells on the first frame we put in they haven’t done anything with the second frame of eggs.

My question is : do we persevere with putting frames in and hope we get a queen and she mates in time, or would folk recommend trying to source one online?

If it was earlier in the season I would clearly prefer to avoid online but we are just worried given how late in the season it is.

Thanks in advance!

I would order a mated queen
Another thread mentions that BS honey bees still has queens or you could try Hivemaker on this forum
Those first queen cells are imminent so make a decision asap and get in tomorrow to remove them if you are ordering a queen

Back