Opinions on suitablility as a swam catcher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have found this fruit picker on Ebay. I am toying with buying it and using it as an improvised swam catcher. Might be a bit "Heath Robinson" but it's cheap and might just do the job for those hard to reach places. What do you guys think? not worthy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopi...denEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item43ab5aa4fd

(To prempt any cynics, I have been a forum member of just short of a year, I am a genuine beek and I have no affiliation or knowledge with the seller whatsoever, I just want some opinion from other beeks)

Last edited:
Net does not look very big, and how would you intend to dislodge the swarm, assuming that you can get them in the net?

Not for me.

I have telescopic branch lopper. Just under the lopper I fit a bag, which is a big old feed bag, which is glued on the rim of a frying pan splash guard to hold it open. Feed the branch into the bag and operate the lopper. It is a fiddle but works for those too high or tree too flimsy to get to otherwise.

Might be ok for a smallish swarm, and you had somebody cut the branch.

(If they obliged and sat at the tip of the branch)

Net does not look very big, and how would you intend to dislodge the swarm, assuming that you can get them in the net?

Not for me.

I have telescopic branch lopper. Just under the lopper I fit a bag, which is a big old feed bag, which is glued on the rim of a frying pan splash guard to hold it open. Feed the branch into the bag and operate the lopper. It is a fiddle but works for those too high or tree too flimsy to get to otherwise.

Telescopic branch lopper with interchangeable saw. Florist's bucket and bungey cord at top of said pole.

:iagree:

2.7m isn't much good. you might as well just hold a box under the branch whilst someone lops.

4m telescopic pole much better plus a contraption using a pillow case.

If you can't get it safely with a single properly used ladder then walk away.....it is not worth it

I have found this fruit picker on Ebay. I am toying with buying it and using it as an improvised swam catcher. Might be a bit "Heath Robinson" but it's cheap and might just do the job for those hard to reach places.

If it's like the fruit picker extension we've got for our loppers, the entrance is only about 6" across and probably isn't big enough for a swarm.

I have one of these and the apple bag is a push fit with a grub screw, so it can be adapted. However, as others have said, the length is not brilliant. I modified mine to go after a swarm that was way too high in a tree. I ended up at full stretch on the top of a ladder and still only just reached the swarm. Got them down but they scarpered the next day. A dangerous exercise I will not be doing this year. I think you would be better off either buying or copying the swarm bags seen on this site, that's going to be my path for this year.

Swarm catching

Last year my 2nd year i caught two swarms one was wrapped around a 6"thick tree about 30' high,and the other was hanging on the end of a stout branch about as high. I used a medium ladder and a extendable pole pruner and dropped a wheighted rope over a branch above the swarms and pulled up a fiber plant pot one of the big ones 3 gallon or so, that I had put a cover on with a bit of comb attached to some altered frames and some lemon grass oil. The pot had a small hole at the bottom , I pulled it up so it was touching the swarm and within an hour all the bees were on it and in it so I lowered it down and shook the bees into a hive body and they are doing well as I write this .Saved me some climbing , not a big fan of heights don't even like being this tall . Brian

One swarm too high to reach-

I tied a tasty frame with a little fresh brood (capped and uncapped) onto a pole made up of a long lopper and a boat hook. Rested the frame near the brood- in 20 mins most bees moved down to the brood frame and I lowered to the ground - need help manoeuvring as it was heavy to lower. But it worked. Bees will cover brood! If it takes longer maybe brood will not survive but the swarm will be captured.

If hiving a swarm put one frame of brood nicked from another hive (no bees)- swarm will stay.

:iagree:
One swarm too high to reach-

I tied a tasty frame with a little fresh brood (capped and uncapped) onto a pole made up of a long lopper and a boat hook. Rested the frame near the brood- in 20 mins most bees moved down to the brood frame and I lowered to the ground - need help manoeuvring as it was heavy to lower. But it worked. Bees will cover brood! If it takes longer maybe brood will not survive but the swarm will be captured.

If hiving a swarm put one frame of brood nicked from another hive (no bees)- swarm will stay.

I had a swarm this year about 20' up a very thin tree....

I placed an assembled hive containing foundation and one drawn / used frame on a single story flat roof some 10 / 20 yards from the tree (as near a place as i could get it).

Within less than an hour, the scouts found it and the swarm hived up (it was not a "pre-placed" bait hive, but put there after the swarm was clustered in the tree).

I'd already strapped the hive up to place it there, so it was just a case of wait till evening, block entrance, climb (small) ladder, lower hive to ground level.

At the end of the day, swarms are looking for new homes / hives, so if they are clustered in an awkward tree / place and you provide one the swarm can find easily, there's a v' good chance they will move into it.

It seems size does matter!

Bought one of them in Lidl £5 replaced head with frame of an old fishlanding net ,and added pillowcase

I have an assortment of poles, but the best one is a windsurfing mast. Don't know how long it is (18 ft? 20ft?) but it is made of spun fibreglass, and is incredibly light and strong despite it's length.

I made a hole in the end through which I can pass one or more adjustable cable ties, and to which I can attach frames, baited poly nucs, or just a cardboard box with a bait frame in.

£5 from the local tip.

Latest posts

Back