Opinions - best vehicle for Beeks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any off road driving and you soon realise you need to go down the gears to keep control on downhill slopes, especially with a trailer on tow.

A myth. Only spouted by those who've never done it in an automatic. Greater control in the 4x4 world is achieved by automatics than the old manual things.

What a load of b*llox a well driven manual car will use a lot less fuel than an automatic

I once borrowed a spare automatic from the pound and had to call out my employers mechanic when It wouldn't start in the supermarket car park. He opened the passenger door and took the gear lever out of drive......:blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5:

A myth. Only spouted by those who've never done it in an automatic.
Done it in both - and an electronic gearshift vehicle (Pinsgauer). Auto has it's moments, but across the board manual is better, of course auto is handy for those who can't read the terrain and think ahead.

Last edited:
What a load of b*llox a well driven manual car will use a lot less fuel than an automatic

Such an out of date view. Modern automatics achieve similar rates, but even more importantly, are always in the right gear so less engine wear. In fact Mercedes don't even make manual 4x4's these days - and what Mercedes do today, the rest do tomorrow.

Such an out of date view. Modern automatics achieve similar rates, but even more importantly, are always in the right gear so less engine wear. In fact Mercedes don't even make manual 4x4's these days - and what Mercedes do today, the rest do tomorrow.

I think I see why we don't see eye to eye on this now. I don't know any beekeepers who can afford a new merc forbeefor.

Don't matter what the vehicle is, as long as it gets you where you want to go, no point being too precious about them, they are all going to end up in a dump.

I am wondering whether many on here actually set the vehicle costs against the value of the honey crop. Clearly some do, but how many?

What's all this off road talk anyway? If you need to do some extreme off roading to get to your bees, how the hell do you move bees and honey?

Edwardking,
With you 100% regarding auto transmission, I wouldn't dream of swapping for a manual and my left leg agrees with me.
And for the hairier moments you can select a lower ratio or even hill descent.

I have driven both types of 4x4 and although the auto will do most things off road you can do more with a manual, auto takes the brains out of driving for those with limited off road skills

But my question is what off roading skills are required to go to the apiary that most people would manage without a problem?

Any off road driving and you soon realise you need to go down the gears to keep control on downhill slopes, especially with a trailer on tow.

I'll have to remember that next time I pull our 3.5 ton trailer farm trailer down a wet grassy hill with my automatic Discovery :rolleyes:

Have to give this to the manual still about 10% difference for diesel Discovery 4 (30 - 27).

I have driven both types of 4x4 and although the auto will do most things off road you can do more with a manual, auto takes the brains out of driving for those with limited off road skills

I have to disagree on both counts.

I have yet to find anything I cant do with my D3 that I could do with any of the manual Land Rovers I have owned and I do use them for what they are intended.

True an auto box and control systems make life easier for the unexperienced but they still get stuck, there is no substitute for knowledge yet. Although I believe some of the new Range Rovers can now detect the "road" surface and select the appropriate settings, although tellingly the display doesn't indicate which setting the car is in, so as not to confuse the driver if it chooses the snow setting, when there is no snow!

"Any off road driving and you soon realise you need to go down the gears to keep control on downhill slopes"

unless your car has an effective hill descent system built in.

I prefer skill to electronics, The discipline and patience that it need to acquire that skill is good for you.
As regards 4x4 driving I defer to to my brother in law who has that skill, with over 30 years of competive trials and competiton safari all on manual boxes.
as well as 30 years building the vehicles for himeself and as a profession.

Being in a vehicle with some one who has genuine talent while making the vehicle go into apparently impossible places is quite an expereince.

Do, i admit to owning this 110, well i did until the tranfer box seized at 70mph and came through the floor

the stain on the filler is due to it have long range fuel tanks 210 ltre main with 46ltre under rear wing (thru flow tank), so it often belched when filling up, pouring DERV all over you

i used to just put 50ltre in per fill but once a rather obnoxious bloke started telling me to hurry up filling it as he was in a hurry , so i did 230ltre

Attachments

• P8020886.jpg
    P8020886.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Before starting the hobby of Extreme Beekeeping, I often popped down to Salisbury Plain for a bit of mudplugging.

My favourite vehicle was a Simca marmon (SUMB). It was a 1959 Troop carrier, similar to a Unimog that was designed for extremely rough terrain.

It cost me £1,700 from an army surplus and its age and class meant it was Road Tax free, and it did not require an MOT. It also cost me £100 a year to insure.
Being Ex-NATO, and were reserved for the cold war. They are so cheap and commonplace that they are often blown up in war films, particularly when set in Africa or S America.

The bad side is with a Ford 4.2 Flathead engine, and gearbox made for carrying and towing, they do 13Mpg on the straight. However, if you have space to keep it, with no RT and MOT, doing very few miles and are handy with spanner, it could be worth looking into.
I have seen private vehicles with diesels. (the engines were often taken out for other vehicles)

I have owned S1 and S2A landrovers with no legroom (I am over 6ft), but good for a small number of hives.
Range Rovers can carry a similar amount, but in comfort.

I will be buying a new vehicle in Spring for beekeeping. I like the idea of something with a cab and a tow bar so I do not need to drive around wearing a beesuit...

"so I do not need to drive around wearing a beesuit"

you don't need one if you wrap hives in net-curtain or similar mozzie net material.

"so I do not need to drive around wearing a beesuit"

you don't need one if you wrap hives in net-curtain or similar mozzie net material.

I've carried bees in teh back of the Jazz for 50-60 miles without wearing a suit.. Only one sting in 4 years..

Ventilation, blocked entrances and tied down well ..

I've carried bees in teh back of the Jazz for 50-60 miles without wearing a suit.. Only one sting in 4 years..

Ventilation, blocked entrances and tied down well ..

Until you have an accident then all hell will break loose and the emergency services won't approach to help you!

You could say the same about seatbelts - no need for one until you have a crash!

Latest posts

Back