Opinions - best vehicle for Beeks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dacia duster

I had a dacia duster about 25+ years ago heavy on fuel and not vey big and putting it into 4wheel drive was a pain hope they have improved on them other than that it was good to drive

Current Dacia Duster is very narrow at the back. I test drove one recently and considered it had less space than my Renault Clio (widthways). The wheel internal arches are huge. I think you can't get two Nationals side by side.

Considering the price new - which is daft (low) - it seemed otherwise good value but was ruled out for the reasons above.

I drive a skoda yeti, Can fit 4 hives in the back with the seats down (same amount as my old vw caddy only less space between the hives). Having owned previously land rover defenders and an izuzzu trooper I would rate the yeti above the others off-road, and it will do 50+mpg on the road at 70mph on the motorway. Have a fitted tow bar if i need to pull a trailer.

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab and can get 6 hives in the buck. I also have a Citroen C3 Picasso which I can get easily 4 hives in the back with the rear seats down. Brilliant car over 60mpg. I however prefer to use the Ford for its off road ability and its towing capacity.

Used to have one of these, Landrover 101 forward control, (was previously a rapid missile launcher) but the V8 petrol engine only managed around eight to ten miles to the gallon....downhill.

5390786680_930131a842.jpg

Now use Landrover Defender 110 TD5 and Toyota Hi Lux pickup, and a couple of Ifor Williams trailers.

Last edited:
I have a Freelander and it will go most places a 4x4 will go and with the seats down the storage is very good but without dropping the seats, it's a bit like Fatshark's description. The arches take up a lot of room and the seat angle limits the height of the load. Two nationals will fit in without dropping the seats (two paynes won't) but room enough for six hives with seats down.
I'd say one of the many pickups is the best bet, easier to load/offload and the bees are on the outside. I can't see anyone doing extreme off roading to get to the apiary so think storage first and 4x4 performance second.

Land Rover Discovery V8 for me.
Fit eight double brood colonies in the back, roof rack for hive stands etc. towbar for trailer, 20+ colonies on the trailer.

Land Rover Discovery V8 for me.
Fit eight double brood colonies in the back, roof rack for hive stands etc. towbar for trailer, 20+ colonies on the trailer.

:iagree:

Same here, as you say bags of room inside, on top and can tow up to 3.5 tons. Mine is a D3 and is as capable as Defender/series off road, as good as most saloons on road, can carry up to seven in a fair degree of comfort and has the grin factor when you press the loud pedal. I have owned Land Rovers for over 30 years, mostly series and Defenders and a D2 and IMO this is the best one so far.

Bill

ive a saab estate as seen one on telly, they can fly but as yet not got off the ground yet keep running out of road

My transit got stuck in mud during autumn inspection. Called RAC. They got stuck too. Fortunately. So I didn't need to pay the big rescue vehicle. Now having an old Cherokee which doing pretty well but I should have bought the automatic one.

Why? I have a manual one - csan't see sny issues with it that would be solved by being automatic

Automatic cars are the future, and the best way to drive. They should be compulsory. I don't know why they even bother to make the old fashioned manual things.

Automatic cars are the future, and the best way to drive. They should be compulsory. I don't know why they even bother to make the old fashioned manual things.

Any off road driving and you soon realise you need to go down the gears to keep control on downhill slopes, especially with a trailer on tow.

Latest posts

Back