Opening up the hive entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good morning experts.
I poked my nose into the apiary yesterday and noticed the level of activity has stepped up exponentially since Sunday.
Should I consider swapping the entrance block to the larger opening.

Good morning experts.
I poked my nose into the apiary yesterday and noticed the level of activity has stepped up exponentially since Sunday.
Should I consider swapping the entrance block to the larger opening.

Larger opening, sure.

Full width of hive opening (in case that's what you mean)? No.

Why not just take out the block completely? When I took the mouseguards off I didn’t stick a block in, although maybe I should have.

Why not just take out the block completely? When I took the mouseguards off I didn’t stick a block in, although maybe I should have.

Just seems like good practice to only give the bees an entrance they can defend. A full width entrance is huge. I'd only ask a colony at full summer strength to defend it. Robbing can happen even in spring.

(I actually never take the entrance block out completely, but that's just me)

It comes down two factors: first is that bees have a difficult time defending against robbing with a full-width entrance. The usual 20cm tall entrance lets bees in simultaenously along the upper edge and the lower edge (and mice in winter), and then they're straight into the hive. Part of the reason underfloor entrances have become more popular is that it provides a tunnel-like effect which allows defenders more time to intercept any foreign bees before they get through the guards and into the hive proper. Failing that, a reduced entrance means they have less space to police for foreign bees and wasps.

The second factor is how much stock you put in what bees 'naturally' like. Seeley conducted a study evaluating the preference of swarms by entrance size and they ended up liking 15cm^2 entrances. That comes out to a beespace-tall entrance only 6 inches wide! Bees can make do with a finger-wide tunnel in the side of a tree, so while there may be some truth to the idea that 'opening up' the entrance allows smoother traffic, they certainly don't need it. If they spend half an hour foraging for nectar and an extra 15-30 seconds to get in a small entrance, does it really make that much of a difference? I don't know, but something to think about.

Latest posts

Back