Oops. Upside down floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I did a pretty thorough inspection of my three hives today - first pull apart and clean up of the year as it was 20 degrees and lovely.

As part of this I changed out the OMF floors, using an extra one for the first one, then cleaning up that one, replacing that one in the second hive etc.

Afterwards I noticed the bees on hive number 1 seemed to have reversed, with a small cloud orienting themselves at the back.

Only later, when I popped out to check on things did I see that this was still going on. Getting down on hands and knees at the front I realised what I'd done and replaced the floor upside down. There was a lovely big entrance at the back and a totally ineffective entrance block at the front (since the entrance block was underneath the mesh floor).

I guess they'd have survived but the huge entrance at the back might have let more than mice in - I think your average domestic cat could have set up home quite easily...

Just thought I'd better mention it in case any other new beekeepers are as cack handed as me. :redface:

Latest posts

Back