Oooops a few too many stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msillence

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 1 hive and I'm in my first year.
Mostly I'm careful and having taken both a taster course and a full course, read the books etc. Go to the apiary meetings at our local group.

Anyway yesterday I caused a bit of drama unfortunately, my hive stands on a concrete slab and has started to subside, the frames tend to slide during inspections which is quite annoying.
So after the inspection I moved the hive to the side and started digging, trying to skim enough off to level the ground out. This was not at all popular and bees came out in droves. I got a few stings mostly I thought though my jeans but a few got in the gap between my gloves and bee suite. Must get longer gloves, up to now the most stings I've had at once is 1. The ones on my legs felt more like glancing stings not like they had got their stinger properly though evidence now suggests otherwise.

They were so distressed I decided I had to stop and put everything back. After about 5 minutes waiting for things to settle down I started to feel giddy and could tell I wasn't well. My hive is only at the end of our road so I walked back to my house before collapsing in the arms of my wife...

Good news - still alive, not anaphylactic shock, but quite a drop in blood pressure. When the ambulance was here it was 77.
The swelling on my arm is quite impressive I tend to swell more than average when stung but from the puncture marks looks like I got at least 3 stings, possibly more on my wrist and another 6 or so on my legs. Not a great deal really.

The doctor said that I'm probably OK to carry on just be more careful.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Dress in a full bee suit with long gloves, don't take short cuts. Why didn't you just prop up the hive on wood or something until you could do something more long lasting.
Always have some antihistimins? handy and take one after or before opening up.
regards
Steven

Nothing as a bad a reaction as yours but when I first started I got about 6 or 7 stings on both my hands - through inexperience and gloves being far to thin and opening the hive on a very blustry and cloudy evening. I had very swollen hands and a big red mark travelling up my arm. I had to get a course or penicilan and felt quite ill for days and it took ages for the swelling to go down.
But the reason I wanted to write is to say good for you for thinking about continuing. I did and I have never been complaceant again. I have now had bees for two years and I love keeping bees.

always take a piriton ( other brands are available) 1/2 hr BEFORE going to the bees, it works better if it's in your system before it's needed!!

well same happend to me, docs advised NOT to work on hives alone and carry an epipen always just in case .....

keep safe .

The ones on your legs would likely have been pulled out by the fabric.

Think about moving the hive. When they were out the hive had moved, possibly in a mini earthquake to them, so they would stay out longer. You then start to dig - vibrations, vibrations; not surprising they were a bit upset!

And this lot after an inspection - talk about pushing your luck!

Now you know how few stings you can tolerate. I am sure you will be much more careful in the future.

Question might be: Are you taking any prescribed medication or even over-the-counter drugs? It can make a difference.

Think KISS next time. Do it when they are not flying and close up the hive before starting operations, Simple - just like when plumbing, you isolate the water supply first...same idea on lecky circuits and any other jobs you might do. Called basic risk assessment before starting the job!

Hope the swelling subsides shortly, but that you remember it for a very long time.

RAB

Last edited:
Low temperatures can make them a bit tetchy, It didnt get above 7c here yesterday and Im not a million miles away from you.

Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago , no probs .
I placed hive in front of flag stone (Carefully; IE with help) flying bees didn't seem to notice change :) .
I removed flagstone ,positioned 2 concrete blocks, then flagstone , checked for plumb with a spirit level, both axis , then replaced hive (again with help) on flagstone . No fuss, bees seemed not to notice, although height was increased by 6"
VM

Shut bees in before earthworks near their home. Move them gently and move them back gently. Wear proper protective gear...they ain't gnats!

Good to see you are still breathing and live to fight another day, my bees are in my face with this weather grumpy to say the least but I suppose we would be to if we had to stay in for over a month ;)

Yes had similar (a lot worse experience) Are you taking NSAIDs - I was and they MAY have been cause of oversensitivity.

http://tinyurl.com/c7of5ng

Mine went away eventually and I switched away from NSAIDs type medication but took care in the interim not to get more than 2/3 stings same day.

Search for NSAIDs on here and you will find the BMJ report from 98 I think.

So you asked about other people's stories...

Like you we were very keen beekeepers in our first year (of-course we still are) and we did the reading, the local association nights, and the 2 day course sold through Th ornes.

During the initial period of beekeeping you take a mental decision about bee stings - the one about coping with the unknown level of pain. Our decision came early on the beekeeping course as in the first 5 minutes we all were told to remove our gloves. No-one was stung as bees crawled over sweaty palms clutching desperately at the sticky edges of frames.

After the training course experience and with the memory of sage words about moving slowly around the bees in our heads we both felt that perhaps we had somehow worked out and acquired the 'right' beekeeping techniques to avoid being stung. We were very pleased.

We were still waiting for our bees when the opportunity arose to visit the local association apiary. We happily booked our place to visit the 10 hives. On the day it was blowing a gale, rain was coming down sideways, and there was a malevolent sky above us.
We all met at the house of a member, about 20 of us, and waited. The weather appeared to turn and a window of opportunity seemed to appear. I guess not wanting to muck so many people around it was decided to visit the apiary.

Off we went in a convoy of cars for a 15 minute drive - cars full of nervous, excited, newbies like us. We got there, fired our smokers and made the final adjustments to our outfits. It was then that someone noticed I wasn't wearing gloves. I said I intended to work gently, didn't need or want them, and felt 'ethically' this was the right choice as I had more feel, intimacy, and ran less risk of killing any bees accidentally. No-one could convince me and then it started to spit so people soon left me to it and divided into smaller groups. Almost silently one of the most experienced beekeepers joined our little group.

We walked around a hedge line and to the colonies. As we did the wind picked up and I noted the hives were almost on the crest of a hill. As our little group clustered around our nominated hive the experienced beekeeper turned and invited me to open the hive. I was delighted to be first and after a quick puff of smoke started to remove the roof of the national.

It then began raining more heavily and as I turned back to hive, having put the roof on the floor, the colony erupted. I had never experienced or read anything about a situation like this. In a couple of seconds I had been stung through my trousers 3 times. I jumped back and realised I was virtually alone. The old hand had ushered everyone back a couple of extra feet. Next I took 5 stings to my right hand and 2 on my left. I turned and walked smartly away still being chased. As I went one way I was passed by the experienced beekeeper who calmly picked up the roof and closed the colony.

I marched 30 yards to our car and put my gloves on as fast as possible.

It became clear the day was over - the rain stung, the wind whistled up the hill, and the sky descended all around us. Everyone dived into their cars and left to go back for afternoon tea. They chatted disapointedly about the day, the what-ifs, the maybes, and the next time. All the while I sat there throbbing and in a little pain.

The experienced keeper came for a chat and suggested that I could have avoided the stings if only I had assessed the situation and not made assumptions about the situation. Of-course, he was right - high wind, rain, and a muggy atmosphere are threatening to bees. If you add to that an easy, slow moving, target ...well you understand...

So I learnt an awful lot in those 2 minutes - not to assume but to look and think, to wear gloves until I understand the situation, and to listen to those that know and have been there before me.

Thankfully, apart from a rash, plenty of itching, and humiliation I survived and in 5 days I was fine.

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:
The experienced keeper came for a chat and suggested that I could have avoided the stings if only I had assessed the situation and not made assumptions about the situation. Of-course, he was right - high wind, rain, and a muggy atmosphere are threatening to bees. If you add to that an easy, slow moving, target ...well you understand...

That "experienced beekeeper" wouldn't last five minutes as a tutor on our Beginners' courses. If you choose to open hives under conditions like that in your own apiary...your choice. On an apiary day/Beginners' course - ridiculous.

That "experienced beekeeper" wouldn't last five minutes as a tutor on our Beginners' courses. If you choose to open hives under conditions like that in your own apiary...your choice. On an apiary day/Beginners' course - ridiculous.

:iagree: too cold too wet too windy

Thanks for all the replies

Many thanks for the encouragement and stories.

To answer a few questions:
* I'm not on any medication
* The swelling has gone down this morning to a large degree.
* Yes I'll remember this well.

I am often tempted not to wear gloves but I tend to use some very thin st johns ambulance inspection gloves - the same thing you see around the hospitals. Their great, never been stung though them yet and you don't get sticky hands. Only problem is their a little too short.

I liked the story about the bad weather, how quickly the situation can change with bees is surprising until you see it first hand.

The experienced ex-beebeeker up the road said that putting the hive up stream of the entrance would have been a far better idea than to the side. All the returning bees would likely have just gone straight in.

I think digging does indeed need to be a separate operation to inspection.

One day last week, a fair weather day, I went to check my hives. First hive went ok, next hive (3 foot away) began the same but soon went downhill!

I didn't realise I had about a million bees in that hive, well it felt like I did. I could feel them bouncing off my suite but they didn't manage to get a sting through, but just as I thought I was winning they were in my wellies, going down and then back up my trouser leg. Got stung on the back of my leg about 4/5 times in virtually the same spot and once on the top of my foot.
Slight swelling and itching for around three days, so I got off lightly.

Remember when you passed your driving test and everyone said ‘it’s now you really start to learn’ well it’s the same with the bees. Always air on the side of caution. You fasten the seatbelt in the car, never expecting to need it.

Martin.

they were in my wellies, going down and then back up my trouser leg.

I always have my trousers on the outside of my wellies. Trousers have elasticated bottoms to prevent bee entry. Think - one day you will drop a bundle of bees; they will go into wellies, if trousers are tucked inside; they will sting when trapped. It is avoidable virtually 100%. Just doesn't get thought about until after it happens, if then.

I agree - experienced doesn't always equal right or better. Good to see you didn't let the experience put you off though. Eb

"The doctor said that I'm probably OK to carry on just be more careful. "

Reminds me of the old advert " probably the best lager in the world"

You had a significant drop in BP, with significant swelling at sting sites.

I would suggest that you take prophylactic antihistamine before inspecting, and discuss a prescription for an epipen with your GP.

You might just have been lucky this time. Your sensitivity may change.

Dr. Ex.

Back