old brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm thinking of cleaning up about 20 mouldy frames and try to collect wax.
I have searched the forum and many comments say dont bother, the wax you get isn't worth the bother.

Have I got this right?

Should I just throw the mouldy wax away and recycle the frame only.

1003904.jpg

Cliff

The only thing that seems to work with those frames is scraping them back to the mid rib, and even then they can be ignored so I would have a wee bonfire and start over.

PH

It depends. We all start off trying to get the wax but usually end up just giving up! Try an old style elctric boiler (Like a big tea urn) Throw the frames in and let them boil away, Take the frame out (Carefully!) and let it cool. The wax will set on the top!
E

We bought a large pot from a local hardware shop, i think it holds something like about 3 gallons, anyway it covers about 3/4 of the frame when immersed in the water and after they have been in there for about a minute or so, they are turned around and the other half is done. Can do about four or five at a time.

Done about a hundred frames in a few hours. Got fed up trying to find a burco boiler so used this option. Many of the frames were thrown out after cleaning, but have quite a few for re-waxing.

The main part of the wax was cut out and put in the solar wax melter in the summer, we just used it to clean the old crud off. The stuff left after the pot cooled was not worth keeping. A little tip if you do go down that route, is to fill it with hot water from the tap. It means you are not wasting gas or lectric waiting for it to boil.

I've posted elsewhere about this, but I've just bodged a steam wax extractor using a brood chamber, varroa mesh and a couple of solid floors, one for the floor and one for a lid, connected to an old steam wallpaper stripper. It works pretty well.

Since the weekend I've processed almost 60 brood frames and perhaps 40 super frames, some of which were full of comb and some that the comb had been cut from. All except a few really scabby ones look potentially suitable for re-use (though I'm ditching the ones that aren't self-spacing). I've not weighed the wax, but it looks to be between four to five kg worth.

James

I use a steamer to melt out the old/damaged combs. scrape the frames down with a hive tool. Then they get 3 washes in an old dishwasher. One with Washing soda , one with Salt then a final hot rinse....Frames arent like new but perfectly serviceable....

Use a wallpaper steamer, with the tube stuffed into the entrance. Tilt the hive forward on a stand and collect the wax as it drips out - you should get at least a pound.

And hot, wet steam will sterilise all the wooden surfaces - although I do a final scorch on the brood chamber with a blowtorch.

However, do not do it when the bees are active and can smell it - there is something about the aroma of old comb cooking that they find fascinating.

Finaly, clear off the slumgum from the frames while they are warm, it is so much easier - particularly if you wear gloves!

This subject is something that most beeks should do as good management, all commercial should be inspected for clean sites, If not passed the inspection then a penalty fine should be imposed, dirty black combs left lying about the bee yard brings EFB AFB -----keep it clean.:beatdeadhorse5:

Please explain how a black comb left outside "brings in" disease?

If the comb has no disease to start with then I fail to see how it will start off a problem.

PH

This subject is something that most beeks should do as good management, all commercial should be inspected for clean sites, If not passed the inspection then a penalty fine should be imposed, dirty black combs left lying about the bee yard brings EFB AFB -----keep it clean.:beatdeadhorse5:

I fail to see why commercial operations have to be picked on. I have seen some hobbyist beekeepers apiaries that i would call a mess. To inspect every beekeeper would be a logistical nightmare, not to mention about registering.

Then if you fine them, then why not fine a hobbyist? Same thing, just on a different scale, or have i missed something here?

Please explain how a black comb left outside "brings in" disease?PH

By the time comb has turned black it has probably picked up plenty of spores and other bugs.

I regularly sterilise mine because I have had Nosema and still have an ongoing fight with Chalk brood.

Both have persistent spores that need to be steamed out - or you can use Acetic acid. Or even follow the Fumidil B data sheet and use formalin!

Steaming does have the bonus of being less dangerous, helps clean the frames and gets you some rather khaki wax.

Ruins wax moth's day as an added bonus!

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR REPLYS TIM1606 / POLY HIVE.

Where EFB /AFB out brakes have accord in Scotland/England/Wales most has stated the bee sites reported are a complete mess. As have been stated by others on this forum recently in Essex Epping and Scotland.

Tim1606 Please explain how a black comb left outside "brings in" disease?
I am not talking of a back comb but whole discarded hives and frames dead outs!
Left on site after the inspection and standstill order has been lifted.
Both diseases are spread by robbing from neighbouring Apiaries in discarded honey spores and diseased stocks
The poor beek down the road that has a few hives and a spotless Apiary contacts the same disease though visiting bees, and if a newbee don’t know he/she has it. Off it go’s again to someone else.

Poly hive I fail to see why commercial operations have to be picked on.“Your right” should include one and all.

Last year it was reported on this forum that Scotland was near epidemic with EFB/AFB some Aperies had been completely destroyed. Others in there wisdom decided to overwinter and treat in the spring. “Why?”
It is a well published fact there is NO known method of treating diseased brood.
Complete destruction is recommended of diseased brood if treating the bees must be carried out treat ASAP.

A meeting is to be held between Dafra staff and suppliers of bees to
TRY and Reduce the Risk of Disease though the sale of bees, due to the large number of outbreaks in recent years.
The publication of diseases doesn’t go far enough, Name and shame? Impose Fine? License? Issue a management code of practice to Dafra inspectors? Bring back seasonal inspectors?

I would like this forum to suggest any other ideas
I have started new thread with this post."Name and shame bad management"

Latest posts

Back