Ok to treat?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftOtter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We put treated our 2 hives with apiguard 2 weeks ago today, I checked them last week and quite a lot had gone, plus there was a heavy mite drop. We are now due to put on the second treatment and although there will be a window of dry weather this afternoon and tomorrow am, afterwards the weather looks pretty awful. Should I just go ahead and treat anyway? I am also worried about late feeding, can I put a feeder on at the same time? I know it's not ideal but I think we have had the best of the weather now and I don't want to delay any more.
Cheers for any help!
Chris

We put treated our 2 hives with apiguard 2 weeks ago today, I checked them last week and quite a lot had gone, plus there was a heavy mite drop. We are now due to put on the second treatment and although there will be a window of dry weather this afternoon and tomorrow am, afterwards the weather looks pretty awful. Should I just go ahead and treat anyway? I am also worried about late feeding, can I put a feeder on at the same time? I know it's not ideal but I think we have had the best of the weather now and I don't want to delay any more.
Cheers for any help!
Chris

Yes, you need to give them the full four week hit. Don't panic about the feeding - plenty of time yet, as long as they have stores to be going on with. I've had mixed results with dfeeding at the same time as Apiguard, sometimes they take it down, sometimes they don't.

as per above - you need to complete course. even in crap weather it's easy to slip treatment in under the crownboard.

The heat in the hive tends to make treatment work so don't worry, lift the back of the hive, compare it with another bb if you have to, if there is any weight there then they will be fine for food for a while, it's not cold yet.
E

Don't worry about being late to feed.
Plenty of time yet and your bees will also feed themselves with ivy in the next week or so. Have never started much before mid-end Sept, bees have always done well over winter.
Cazza

as per above - you need to complete course. even in crap weather it's easy to slip treatment in under the crownboard.

And leave the residue in the first tray where it is, or scrape off the surplus and stick on top of the new one. Don't shortcut the treatment - the dose is designed for a purpose.

Thanks everyone, we did treat them both, and left all the residue in. We hefted them and were amazed at how light they were, it seems the stores which were in there already have been consumed in the last bout of crap weather. So I'm making preparations to start feeding by the end of the week.

Back