Oh dear .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for them - it is a big problem and our trees are important - there will still be plenty of ivy around for the bees which is obviously the 'concern' shown with this post.

It does sometimes astound me at the blinkered approach that some beeks have towards any bee beneficial forage, to the detriment of our environment. If some people had their way this country would be a barren wasteland populated with nothing apart from ivy, Himalayan balsam and Oilseed rape :D

I help my local ecology group bash Himalayan balsam to pieces. It's awful stuff.

Had a good friend Some years ago sadly no longer around used to go along the canal cutting the ivy and a big improvement he made. Ivy has its place but has to be kept in check and trees covers in the stuff look awful.

I can't speak from personal experience because I've never lived anywhere near ivy - however, the idea that ivy is so terrible for trees seem to be a myth. I checked two sites (RHS and ArborEcology) and they both mention that trees overgrown with ivy right into the treetops is an indication of an already failing tree, rather than that ivy caused it. They also mention the value of ivy to wildlife - not just woodlice and spiders as the two self-appointed 'environmentalists' seem to think. I worry about people taking it on themselves to interfere with an environment without knowledge or qualifications - particularly if that environment that does not belong to them.

No one's disputing the fact that Ivy's got it's place in the grand scheme.
I have an apple tree in the garden which had ivy in abundance - it's been looking a bit sickly the last few years and I thought it may just be nearing the end of its life. The ivy was, in fact a nuisance so I cleared it all away last spring - the tree has had a new lease of life.
I think Veg on here (who is a tree surgeon BTW) also mentioned the adverse effect ivy can have on a tree in a post a few years ago

Last edited:
... think Veg on here (who is a tree surgeon BTW) also mentioned the adverse effect ivy can have on a tree in a post a few years ago

A tree surgeon may know a lot about trees, but is perhaps not as knowledgeable as somebody like an arborist or botanist, and might be more inclined to believe myths.

Sorry Guys ... It's a myth that Ivy damages trees .. even the RHS don't think so ..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=192

Criminal damage being done in Bath as far as I'm concerned ! They should be stopped.
Very true, have they permission from anyone to carry out this environemental carnage? I would put them in the same category as the pervs with their knapsacks full of herbicides spraying everything THEY consider to be a weed. Hang em.

Tree stability being compromised by the weight/stress of the Ivy is what VEG mentioned. It all depends on the situation, I wouldn't want Ivy growing through any specimen tree but it can happily coexist well into the canopy even with healthy trees. Only yesterday I was crossing a pedestrian bridge in Abertillery, at one point I was canopy height, alongside towering Beech growing from the river bank, way below. The heady scent/stink of Ivy was quite overpowering/disgusting.

Its also playing havoc with my fence, I have asked next door to remove it otherwise they will be footing the bill for a new one !

Sorry Guys ... It's a myth that Ivy damages trees .. even the RHS don't think so ..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=192

Criminal damage being done in Bath as far as I'm concerned ! They should be stopped.

you learn something new every day, although as mentioned in one of the study's it can compete with the tree for nutrients if well established; but then, ivy has never been something that keeps me awake at night worrying about it, although it can cause damage and encourage dampness growing up the side of a house (had to hack off all Brynmair's ivy a few years ago) still got no issue with people cutting it back off trees though - there's plenty of it growing in other places anyway.

you learn something new every day, although as mentioned in one of the study's it can compete with the tree for nutrients if well established; but then, ivy has never been something that keeps me awake at night worrying about it, although it can cause damage and encourage dampness growing up the side of a house (had to hack off all Brynmair's ivy a few years ago) still got no issue with people cutting it back off trees though - there's plenty of it growing in other places anyway.

Yes ...:iagree: it seems to really get it's roots into the mortar joints in brickwork and the weight of it on fences is not good .. it destroyed a lot of my fence panels - indeed, towards the end it was the only thing that was holding some fences up ! I chopped that down when I replaced the fences at the bottom of my garden after it had ceased flowering last year ... but I've got it growing up a Lawsons Cypress in my garden that's getting on for 35m tall and 100 years old and also on another tall evergreen - seems to co-exist with the trees without causing any problems - the ivy seems to die back every few years and then rejuvenate. We get lots of birds nesting in it as well as the benefit to insects.

yes it might be. A total
Pain where buildings are concerned, I am saddened to hear of its destruction in bath!! Imagine the thousands of insects that would have otherwise have a home, not to mention the hide outs for our owls, more especially tawny owls that frequent a tree with ivy in the crown!!
I would say their doing more harm than good and I hope someone points this out to them!!
In depth studies have been done on the relationship between tree and ivy, I read a lot about this in my early college days. And surprisingly I never found any mention of ivy being detrimental to trees!!
Such a huge source of insect nectar in the autumn!! Fortunately it will grow back soon!!

I have had to remove Ivy from two of my trees they had become arboreal and were damaging same .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back