Off to the Heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18 lbs from the single hive I took to the heather at Dunwich Heath on the Suffolk coast. I was only able to provide partially-drawn thin comb in the two supers. The yield would probably have been higher if I'd provided drawn comb - bees don't like drawing wax much after July.

Weather forecast looks good for heather moors on Blorenge this next few days. The ling seemed late this year in that part of S Wales, and I'm just hoping that there is enough soil moisture for a decent flow. Murray's twitter report from Scotland shows the ling flow started earlier, last week I believe. All set for a great month. Good luck to all heather-goers.

Weather forecast looks good for heather moors on Blorenge this next few days. The ling seemed late this year in that part of S Wales, and I'm just hoping that there is enough soil moisture for a decent flow. Murray's twitter report from Scotland shows the ling flow started earlier, last week I believe. All set for a great month. Good luck to all heather-goers.
I’m heading down to the New Forest this weekend to check on colonies I took down there a couple of weeks ago. I might have to take the day car with AirCon as the truck will be seven shades of hell today and tomorrow !
KR

S

I’m heading down to the New Forest this weekend to check on colonies I took down there a couple of weeks ago. I might have to take the day car with AirCon as the truck will be seven shades of hell today and tomorrow !
KR

S
Somerford, how did your heather hives look?

Looking pretty good down here - the remaining heather after the wildfires (which an associate of mine photigraphed during a mountain walk) looks very good and my bees have found it as the smell of heather is distinctive in the apiary

G
Looking pretty good down here - the remaining heather after the wildfires (which an associate of mine photigraphed during a mountain walk) looks very good and my bees have found it as the smell of heather is distinctive in the apiary
Great news JB, especially after your earlier thoughts re the wildfire damage to heather near you. Could it be that the natural response to adversity, the compensatory growth principle, is giving a kick to re-colonise and regenerate the space left by the burnt heather? Hope it turns out well for your bees, A

G

Great news JB, especially after your earlier thoughts re the wildfire damage to heather near you. Could it be that the natural response to adversity, the compensatory growth principle, is giving a kick to re-colonise and regenerate the space left by the burnt heather? Hope it turns out well for your bees, A
I think most of what I was shown was on the part the fires didn't get to, which luckily is the part that my bees (and Protheroe's apiaries) can get to. I intended popping over to see the other side of the mountain on Sunday to see the extent of the damage but I realised when I got halfway there I didn't have my field glasses in the truck and, having a bit of a bad eye day, anything over a hundred yards away was just fog!!
The person who sent me the pictures said that the air was heavy with bees.

Here in the Mournes it's the biggest flow of ling since i have started keeping bees, filling supers quicker than i have ever seen, left brood boxes with foundation up as supers last Saturday and they were drawn out and completely filled by the Tuesday morning. They have brought in more honey in three days up there than they have all year. Darren.

Hi JB, how is the ling heather blossom near you just now? Still at the bud stage like the long plant in my garden at 200 feet above sea level?

Hi JB, how is the ling heather blossom near you just now? Still at the bud stage like the long plant in my garden at 200 feet above sea level?
Only thinking of you yesterday when I had a good view of the mountain from SWMBO's grandmother's house, I must say that it's looking the brownest and most barren I have seen it in years I'm hoping to try and get a closer look in the next week or so.

Brown and barren doesn't sound encouraging! Thanks for the observation: I think I'll drive over to Abergavenny area, possibly tomorrow, to see if our usual site is similarly affected. If it too is brown and parched, I'd better find another site pdq.

Where heather is on peat or moss, the buds are OK, but still a week or so off opening. Usually one can find solitary plants in full bloom ahead of the others, but so far behind this season I could only find one across 2 or 3 acres. Where heather is over spoil workings (gravel) the plants have no buds at all (too dry). The tiny frequency of bell heather looks to be dried and bloom is over. Tormentil and clover is present. Moors definitely showing green rather than brown as of yesterday.

On the far West side of the Black mountain there's not much sign of the heather flowering yet.
Hi JBM,
Can I ask you once again for Intel on the heather season? How is the ling heather progressing - is there any colour on the hill near you yet? Just planning my trip to the Blaenavon area (for the 12th year).

Hi JBM,
Can I ask you once again for Intel on the heather season? How is the ling heather progressing - is there any colour on the hill near you yet? Just planning my trip to the Blaenavon area (for the 12th year).
No sign of any colour on the Drysgol at the moment - I'll let you know if there's any change

Latest posts

Back