Observation Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
About to construct an observation hive using a standard flat pack national brood box.

Thought I would simply rout out an internal recess for the glass and then cut through to form the aperture. Intention is then this would provide a side view of all the frames.

What I wish to explore is the benefits of then adding LED lighting to the hive interior. I am told red would be the best colour to use. Has anyone tried this?

Surprised no one has considered using leds to illuminate a hive. Have ordered 2 strips of red for the grand total of £1.

Apature also cut today so need to get some glass now and find a method to fix it into place.

Intention is then this would provide a side view of all the frames.

Andy, why do you want to observe the sidebars? surely an observation hive is to observe the bees on the combs.

Last edited:
Andy, why do you want to observe the sidebars? surely an observation hive is to observe the bees on the combs.

Thought was that the view on the rear comb would not be very interesting so thats why I have gone to the side view with some illumination to see down the side of each frame.

Woodworking complete. Only now need to add the LED lights plus bees!

Attachments

• SAM_1902 (Small).JPG
    SAM_1902 (Small).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SAM_1901 (Small).JPG
    SAM_1901 (Small).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_1900 (Small).JPG
    SAM_1900 (Small).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
The red light is now on so guess the girls must now be in residence.

Attachments

• SAM_1904 (Small).JPG
    SAM_1904 (Small).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 74
Thanks, you've gone and done it now! Won't be getting my first hive and bees until later this year, still reading and learning loads (hopefully). Now my keen apprentice, 7 year old daughter who is as excited about the arrival of bees as she is when Father Christmas is coming now wants one of these, oh and I need to put a seat at the side so she can sit and watch.
Wingy

The red light is now on so guess the girls must now be in residence.

It's very creative and well done - but Hivemaker is right ... in addition, the bees will cover the glass in propolis and within a few weeks you probably won't be able to see much at all. You need to compensate the loss of insulation from putting glass sides in the hive by having an insulated bonnet to go over the top of everything to keep the heat in - glass is a very good conductor and the heat loss will be substantial.

Of course, you can't leave it open and visible all the time - the bees prefer dark spaces so you are limited to looking in at them occasionally.

Why did you not take the easier route of having clear polycarbonate crown boards ? With top bee space you can look down into the hive and there are always bees on top of the bars doing something - I'm not so sure they spend as much time on the sidebars.

Don't think I'm pouring on your parade - I will be interested to see how the bees react to what you have done - particularly the lighting. I just love the innovation we see on here.

Well the girls have taken up residence today as took advantage of this brief spell of sunshine. Will take some pictures in a couple of weeks.

After 1 week of occupation no sign of the glass being obscured

Attachments

• SAM_1915 (Medium).JPG
    SAM_1915 (Medium).JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SAM_1916 (Medium).JPG
    SAM_1916 (Medium).JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 47
Dont think very much. Missed all the warm days over the last couple of weeks so have yet to do a proper inspection.

Back