observation hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just bought a observation hive which will be on a table in my living room the question is
how long can a tube be as the area i would like it to be doesn't have an outside wall so was thinking of putting tube clear /black round room with two 90 degree bends round horizontal to the outside. total length 35 feet

any thoughts or does anyone have info where i can get more info from
thanks in advance Alan :drool5:

just bought a observation hive which will be on a table in my living room the question is
how long can a tube be as the area i would like it to be doesn't have an outside wall so was thinking of putting tube clear /black round room with two 90 degree bends round horizontal to the outside. total length 35 feet

any thoughts or does anyone have info where i can get more info from
thanks in advance Alan :drool5:

sorry mate, dont have the answer to your question but I had to say this

'how does your mrs let you do this?'

i would be out on the streets with me bags packed, pronto......

I would think 35 feet is pushing it a bit. Is there no where nearer an outside wall.

The bigger problem as I see it is that with that distance, they aren't going to get any fresh air, and they wont know what the weather is doing outside.

No outside wall, therefore no windows...............Sounds like a dungeon.

thinking out the box

bee-smillie thanks this is why i love this forum i must stop thinking for my enjoyment and think more about my girls in future
thanks not worthynot worthy
all very valid points
O MY WIFE DOSEN'T KNOW only joking she can't wait either what a brill way of introducing bees to people

Last edited:
update on installation

whilst my wife was out at church i got out one of my man tools and bored 2" hole in the wall after your valid threads ive moved the location to the other side of the room all clean dosen't look out of the ordinary part from the draft must stop that, tea towel to the rescue
its not the bees or the hive its the hole in the wall with my Queen bee disikesnot worthynot worthybee-smillie

:rofl:this is another reason why i'm addicted to the forum:rofl:

So how far will the bees have to travel to get into the hive?

Update of my Observation Hive

here are some photos i hope they are clear the round ring on the last photo is when i saw her Majesty was laying i have trouble looking for eggs in my other ones well im just sad to tell you truth

Last edited:
That looks a quality bit of kit and not a crosshead screw in sight. I bet its heavy.
I never have covers on mine.

A polarising filter over the lens would prevent the reflections off the glass in your photos

Beautiful piece of kit - where did you buy it and do you mind telling us how much it was?

Free Dymo tape labels too!

Meant to build one last winter, got the plans, timber etc, but was shelved due to other work.

bargain

Beautiful piece of kit - where did you buy it and do you mind telling us how much it was?

Free Dymo tape labels too!

Meant to build one last winter, got the plans, timber etc, but was shelved due to other work.

got it off flea bay £200 buy now i jumped at it
Pick up from wales Pwllheli (worth the drive took the wife with me to pickup she kept telling me i never take out any where these days (i needed her to come so if i got tired she could drive home LOL):reddevil:

Last edited:
Wow, beautifull obs hive, looks much easier to work than my homemade one. Me thinks another one is due, over winter maybe.

Latest posts

Back