Number of Wasp nests near Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not a bad beek. You will learn less quickly if you don't post questions. Don't let anyone hold you back.

Karin

iv'e got more wasps than LEGO LAND !!

:0(

Shonto

We deal with a different varriety of wasps and bees and they seem to get along so far. And for now the bees are outnumbering the wasps. Further more our wasps like easier prey. We currently have atleast 4 nests in our garage and will probably destroy them, as soon as they sting the first person. The other day I watched a wasps drinking water, while surrounded by about 30 bees. The bees were more concerned with a gecko approaching than with the wasp.

From another wasp thread.

If this isn't saying someone (me) isn't a bad beek then I hate to hear what you would say to a bad one.

Thanks for the help I've had on here from others, but I don't think I'll be posting any more, to be told "YOUR A BAD BEEK" by MB

Pete

Dont let them upset you! I've been insulted, effectively called stupid and been shot down in flames a few times, but I carry on posting - it's only a forum. When I stop learning from them, Ill go away and sulk.

On some forums, you get rude, agressive replies almost to every post.

I've had a problem with wasps most of the Summer. I made up a mini nuc in mid August and reduced the entrance to a single bee space. There were no bees alive in it on the next inspection and it was full of wasps. I made up another and put a mesh tunnel over the entrance as per Victor Meldrew. This nuc survived and thrived.

I did spray a neighbour's wasp nest with the B&Q wasp destroyer, but this was more because it was a nuisance for people coming to the house.

Beeks and oldies

We have a wasp problem and I am takling it in two ways, Traps and Squashing... I also think wasps are great creatures and find them fascinating. This therefore is frustrating but the bees come first...
as to postings ...
I coach athletics (as well)... I always ask my athletes to challange what I do, so they show understanding and I learn too... Pete the main thing I always tell them is THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION, ONLY AN ANSWER YOU WILL NEVER GET... please keep asking and posting I want to keep learning too... questions provoke thought in most people and most here have responded well. There are always some who have a different view and have learnt it all, I havent learnt it all and want to learn more, therefore Pete, keep posting you are helping me learn!!! i first started beekeeping 30 years ago and did so with a brilliant Gentleman for 5 or 6 years and have recently returned to the "hobby" now with my wife...
what fruit tree varieties have you got?

:rant:Since joining this forum a year or so ago, I have seen a few people come and then go due to "perceived" rudeness from other forum members.

I think its sad that this has happened but nice that others are being there to try and buck them up.

I have said this before but there are others on the forum that say it how they see it, black is black etc and i think it takes a certain type of person to be able to take that on the chin and just accept that some people are just like that.

This is the only forum that i am a member of so i cant speak from a wide knowledge of such things but i am guessing that this forum is quite polite and helpful to us new beeks.

Others have said in the past that we do ask the same questions over and over again and now having had experience of that over the last year or so i can understand that when a reply is written the author can get a frustrated for writing it for the umpteenth time.

However there is no need to be rude and no need to tell someone they are a bad beek. We all started somewhere and at some point in our history of beekeeping we probably made a fatal mistake.

Everyone has their own area of expertise and those without that expertise come here to learn from others, so please sit back, have a think, if needs be have a drink and try to be like a duck in the rain! :leaving:

This is the only forum that i am a member of so i cant speak from a wide knowledge of such things but i am guessing that this forum is quite polite and helpful to us new beeks.

Only a member of one other (football related) and I can assure you this is, probably unsurprisingly, full of informed and considerate posters whereas that is confined to people hurling insults and abuse.

I also know where I'd rather spend my time

Thanks for all the replies I feel I've stole the thread, sorry.
I will keep posting and not bother reading some of the replies so I don't get wound up.

One of the other forums I'm on, is "song of the paddle" an open canoe forum. Their policy is, if you're not polite and can't let your kids read it, don't write it.

Wasps are still near my hives but getting fewer every day. I found yet another nest and destroyed it. The hive that was under the biggest attack is now on the mend and nearly a full super of supplies again. So hopefully they will make it through the winter.

As I was writing this the chimney sweep turned up. He's very local to me and we started talking about bees as he keeps them as well. He says he lost 4 out of 17 colonies this year to wasps even though he closed the entrance down etc. He says it the worst year he's ever seen for wasps. Made me feel loads better about my attempts to save mine.

Expect some question on combining hives soon as I'm going to put the smaller ones together this week.

Thanks for the support

Pete

Glad you are still with us Pete - don't you worry about asking any questions at all - there's no such thing as a daft one!

I got shot down in flames for starting a thread about 'stings and how other people react' as the subject had already been covered (probably in 1998 or sometime). I reckon if we didn't bring up the same subjects from time to time in fear of being told off then the forum would eventually grind to a halt.

Regards - FB

:cheers2:

Is this thread about a wasp problem or is it wasp paranoia?

I mean, are wasps having free access, as in coming and going from hives? If so, that is not the 'fault' of the wasps. That is the fault of the beekeeper because his management of his colonies has not been diligent enough.

If someone is a novice beek, or has 500 colonies to watch over single-handedly, or has never read a hal-decent beekeeping book ... the he/she might get wasp trouble.

Do your Hives have front doors fitted to the entrances then?

Wasps will decimate a hive in no time if near by. Bees always come off worse as they have to sacrifice a bee to kill a wasp. I watched 3 bees take out a wasp from a hive. Two bees flew off while the 3rd rolled around on the ground trying to sting the wasp. In the end the wasp won and was stood on by me :smash:

wasps

in the early spring look out for wasps the big ones they are the queens send them away? then you don't have nests, or on another thread pilchards mixed with spot-on, a blob of jam on the side for pudding all in a weather proof container that they can get out of.
keep up the good work.
John http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/Smiles/party.gif

realy bad year for wasps here in brum, six i have found at the allotment site, all were found by the plot owners and delt with using diesel my me, but they still kept coming i have big nest some where but i cant seem to find it, over the winter i am going to have to renew all the bee shed entrences to a better and easier design for me to use as at the moment they are awkward to use

Back