• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nuc wanted in SW London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you in that much of a rush? An artificial swarm or extra splits after a demaree would achieve the same ends. Or alternatively, buy in several queens and split your hive later in the spring or early in the summer.

If you only intend to double your colony count it is sooo easy.

Sorry not able to help gut set up a bait hive Greg must be plenty of beekeepers in and around Sheen that may just gift you a swarm?

Perhaps do it now me thinks things may kick off early in the London areas.

Yes I was thinking of splitting when they start thinking of swarming, but wanted to go bigger and maybe get 3 to 4 hives on the go. Is it really that easy to do a multi-split with several bought queens and get honey off them in the year? I wanted to proceed carefully so I get a reasonable crop this year.

Yes I can set up a decoy hive on the off chance. I did this last year and hoped to split my hive when they started thinking of swarming, but they started late and then the summer flow kicked in and they decided not to. Then I heard of two swarms in the area but couldn't get to pick either up as I was working :(

Is it really that easy to do a multi-split with several bought queens and get honey off them in the year?

Yes, it is that easy, but there is a cost to everything. A several way split will likely very much reduce the crop. But next year....

Depends on what you want. Your initial post simply indicated a wish to expand colony numbers. By 100% might be construed as a considerable increase, by some. Some honey and 3-400% might be an acceptable compromise, and it may depend on the season and the coming winter, too.

RAB

If you want to expand and get a honey crop then set the bait hive they are great fun and expect a couple of near misses, split or AS your existing hive then either buy as you are interested in a nuc or beg a few frames from another beekeeper and re queen from a breeder.

You may also get a chance of a swarm or two basically you have plenty of time and options open to you to expand with the season ahead.

You can split one colony three or four times but I think you will not get any or expect any honey.

Guildford of any use? I have one overwintered Nuc surplus. PM if interested for further details.

i have a hive with a new queen from last August along with other spares(hive etc) that i have to let go,i'm open to decent offers?

Hi. I would definitely come to Guildford if Greg isnt interested. thanks

BB We Unite,Seven posts in two years all offering Nuc's is not really in the spirit of the forum....

BB We Unite,Seven posts in two years all offering Nuc's is not really in the spirit of the forum....

I agree,and have edited his third post tonight accordingly.

Hi there,

If you still have a nuc in guildford, I would be very interested

Hi,

I am downsizing & have a few hives inc bees (approx 2 years old) for £250 each. I am in Essex if it helps.

Thanks,

Ian

Latest posts

Back