Nuc transport

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have bought my first nuc today and transported home 3 hour drive but as far as I know they have been locked in since last night . I am going to open the slide after dark . They are going mad inside nuc trying to get threw the ventilation screen on top is this normal ?. Go easy on me it's my first hive

Lightly spray them with rainwater or any clean water. Place the nuc in the location you have selected for their hive and release them now before it gets dark.

PS. You may not have a spray bottle, so dip your hand into a container of water and dribble some on them through the mesh on top of the nuc. When they have been released put a cover of some sort on the nuc to keep out the weather.

Last edited:
Lightly spray them with rainwater or any clean water. Place the nuc in the location you have selected for their hive and release them now before it gets dark.

PS. You may not have a spray bottle, so dip your hand into a container of water and dribble some on them through the mesh on top of the nuc. When they have been released put a cover of some sort on the nuc to keep out the weather.

Opened up about an hour ago and checked the front there now and there's about 10 dead bees on the landing board is this normal

I have bought my first nuc today and transported home 3 hour drive but as far as I know they have been locked in since last night . I am going to open the slide after dark . They are going mad inside nuc trying to get threw the ventilation screen on top is this normal ?. Go easy on me it's my first hive

You seem to have adopted a common sense approach by using a travel screen.... a spray of cool clean water... before, during and after the journey is necessary as the poor little girls can get dehydrated.

Placing your nuc atop their new home and in the same eventual orientation is a good idea... and allowing them to fly before hiveing saves some stress... do not forget to feed them once ensconced in the new palace!!

Yeghes da

You seem to have adopted a common sense approach by using a travel screen.... a spray of cool clean water... before, during and after the journey is necessary as the poor little girls can get dehydrated.

Placing your nuc atop their new home and in the same eventual orientation is a good idea... and allowing them to fly before hiveing saves some stress... do not forget to feed them once ensconced in the new palace!!

Yeghes da
Thanks what do you think about the dead bees

No and have you transferred them to a hive. If there is space in the nuc you have a short period of grace. You do have a hive for them?

No and have you transferred them to a hive. If there is space in the nuc you have a short period of grace. You do have a hive for them?

I have been told to leave them in the nuc for a couple of days to settle its sitting where the hive will be . Hive just set aside for the minute

Don't wait too long. Unless the nuc is obviously weak they will soon become crowded. Move the nuc up tight against the side of the hive, position the frames in exactly the same order as they occupied in the nuc, fill the remaining space with foundation....I assume you have no drawn comb, If the weather is warm and/or you have a poly hive that will be satisfactory.
Work with a purpose and be calm, you do not want a queen dropping onto the ground so move frames only over the nuc and hive, that is why they were pushed together. When you have finished the transfer, feed them.

Get a feeder on them , wait for a warm day to swap into the hive. I'm only a few miles away and bees flying happily. Best of luck with the new hobby.

Get a feeder on them , wait for a warm day to swap into the hive. I'm only a few miles away and bees flying happily. Best of luck with the new hobby.

Got them transferred today saw queen but not alot of larve or eggs plus alot of dead bees on the bottom of the box

That should do nicely. Leave them alone now to get on with it and if it is a wooden hive put plenty of insulation above the crown board.

Latest posts

Back