Nuc to Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a nuc which seems very full. I plan to.move it to my national hive today. What are people's thoughts on doing it. It's a strong colony in a 6 frame.nuc

Pretty much 5 of them. The 6th they are building out.

seems very full
The questions about brood quantity are to the point: the nuc may be (sort of) on five now, but that is not going to increase enough in the next six weeks to fill the box for winter.

Aim to sychronise decisions to the pace of the season: in the first half give plentiful space for expansion, but at this fag-end of the year a smaller box rammed with bees will winter far better.

I have a nuc which seems very full. I plan to.move it to my national hive today. What are people's thoughts on doing it. It's a strong colony in a 6 frame.nuc
What we do first is putting a second lvl on the nuc,filled with builded out frames kept aside after last honeyswing,only when that double decker gets too small we transfer them to a regular big hive,if it doesn't get filled up enough to go into winter we take two slow/meager frames out and put left and right top lvl couple "filling" frames.In extreme gentle winters you still have to do follow ups,best during "cleaning" flights,last winter we had to mount a 3th lvl and the apideas with spare q's some at 7 lvl's.The vid is of the apideas 23 februari,doing a winter cleaning flight.

Attachments

• P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 274645128_1078785609335111_397070697773503163_n.mp4
    660.7 KB
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back