nuc split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guest396

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Can you split a strong nuc in two this time of the year

How many solid frames of brood?
Remember the queen's laying rate is slowing right down. Some of my bees are already filling the brood boxes with stores.
If they were mine I might consider it if they were bursting at the seams but I would probably put them in a full size hive

I have already put the nuc in a brood box and have been feeding for two weeks they have drawn out all the frames and are storing syrup ? On the new frames
The bees a very very lively and there are thousands of them
When I open the hive for inspection on Thursday they wear bees on all frames

If it were me I'd be inclined to keep a strong colony to go into winter and look to split next spring.

what if i put another brood on top?and leave it there over winter

what if i put another brood on top?and leave it there over winter

I have to ask if you have attended a beginners course and/or are a member of your local association?
The season is fast coming to an end, hastened by this awful weather and you have what sounds like a nice new colony, preparing themselves for Winter. You have done the important thing, which is getting your bees to draw out every frame in their brood box but although there are bees on all the frames it's how many frames contain brood in all stages (BIAS) that we consider when assessing colony strength.
Rather than adding an additional box of frames for them to draw out, remove the feed and leave them to it while you get ready and prepared to do their Autumn treatment.

yes i did a course last year
so i wont split what do you think about putting a second brood box on top to give them room

dateposted-friend

these are the bees left in the box after i had put the frames in the brood box i had never seen so many bees

Last edited:
dateposted-friend

these are the bees left in the box after i had put the frames in the brood box i had never seen so many bees

Unless you get a good late flow of nectar they may not draw new comb anyway. The second brood then just becomes more space to keep warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have asked and so has Swarm. How many frames of brood do you have? I mean solid frames not just bits and pieces.
Winter is coming for the bees.

There a 5 solid brood they are very angry bees I have just been stung today I only went to see them 6 ft from the hive
My brother in law was in the field when I was inspecting the frames on Thursday he got stung 5 times
Would splitting then make any difference

A colony that size would not even require a super, splitting them would probably weaken both to the point they will not get through Winter.
Leave the bees alone, sit on your hands and avoid opening up for no reason. Do a last inspection to assess them, closer to September and then feed/treat as required.

Would splitting then make any difference
Yes
You would probably end up with losing both colonies.
Make sure they have enough stores. A rule of thumb is one frames worth (doesn't have to be all on the same frame) will be enough for them for a week if they can't get out at all. You certainly do not need to be looking at them every week. They know winter is round the corner, they are getting defensive of their stores. Have a final look in towards the end of the month, feed and treat and they will be good for the winter

i am feeding them now when do i have to treat them?

i am feeding them now when do i have to treat them?

What is their mite load? Have you measured?
They need to be as mite free as possible by beginning to mid September so that you have healthy winter bees to take the colony through the winter

i don't know the count but i was going to treat with APIGUARD (THYMOL) when should i treat and do i still feed them when i am treating them

Latest posts

Back