• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nuc breeders in Ireland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuttlefish

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone recommend any breeders in Ireland who sell nucs? Preferably from personal experience not just websearch please.

Have you tried contacting the South Tipperary Association, they will be able to advise.

Stephen

Cheers - yep, I have the details from the southtippbees website but they do say they give priority to new members looking for nucs (which is fair enough, can't really charge folk to do a beginners' course & then tell them there're no bees...). I have the names of a couple of breeders in Leitrim and one in Cork but don't know anyone who's bought from them so don't know if their nucs are up to scratch or not. But a do know that a different supplier was allegedy selling really poor quality nucs last year so want to try & check.

Find someone on the recommendation of other local beekeepers and then bring a knowledgable beekeeper to have a look at the Nuc before you buy. If you are a member of an existing association, tap into their knowledge.

hi i can recomend matt moran in the ballina club thats co mayo.
it would be a full hive you would end up with tho not a nuc. but his queen is lovely and her 2 daughters are doing good work for me. the equipment they come in is old but useable with some care.
i also heard of a disreputable dealer down that end of the country. if you can get a hold of a galtee queen and make a spilt you will proberly be as well off tho. they should be interested in selling a queen to you as it helps their aims to do so. what with flooding the area.
if you get really stuck mail me later on in the year i should have a few but mine are promised to club first

if you can get a hold of a galtee queen and make a spilt you will proberly be as well off tho. they should be interested in selling a queen to you as it helps their aims to do so. what with flooding the area.

Galtee queens - is that Micheal Mac Giolla Coda?

mine are promised to club first

Cheers - most of the local nuc producers seem to be the same! :)

Galtee queens - is that Micheal Mac Giolla Coda?

Cheers - most of the local nuc producers seem to be the same! :)

yup thats Micheal Mac Giolla Coda. think the queens to the public are about 25 and then theres postage if you want the quick post but you would be close enough to collect in person .

But coming from Mayo, the queens are green and red...

An Beachaire usually has a number of bee keepers advertising nuc's for sale. North Tipp Bee Keepers has a good association for contacts (as does South Tipp). If your near Dundrum, there may be a bee keeper who has nuc's. PM me for details.

Latest posts

Back