Nuc boxes no good for bait hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
Have other people found this. Swarm arrive yesterday, settled in, checked this moring and they have all gone. Can only think it was the size of the box. Have put a full size bood box in its place now. Some bees are about and showing interest but I doubt any swarm will come as it's alot cooler today.

So newbees beware as its very frustrating.

:beatdeadhorse5:

I've often put nuc boxes out as bait hives, just on the basis that it's better than leaving them taking up space in the shed, but I've never had a single swarm take up residence.
Too small for a prime swarm.

Picked up a swarm in our national nuc. Happily covered 4 frames once they'd settled and were drawing out comb in the remaining space.

Did pick up a prime swarm the other week that comfortably filled a full sized national box so depends on the size of the swarm.

Title is correct... too small! Only suitable for a small cast swarm, and then not perfect. The only one I've used for a swarm was one of Paynes' 6-frame poly nucs, which are quite large and OK for a small to medium cast. For bait, a nice, spacious residence, smelling of brood, is more likely to appeal to the bees.

They are right to choose wisely: a prime swarm will usually get going like a train when housed. The one I caught in April went into a 14x12 broodbox and needed a super within a couple of weeks.

Three swarms arrived into my poly nuc boxes this year and nice used brood box hive as bait, totally ignored.... bees do nothing invariably as mentioned a few times on here...LOL

PH

I have sometimes found at the end of swarm season that no matter how often you hive a swarm they will be out day after day.

Its as if they are in panic mode rather than swarm mode.

Three swarms arrived into my poly nuc boxes this year and nice used brood box hive as bait, totally ignored.... bees do nothing invariably as mentioned a few times on here...LOL

PH
:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Fussy or what... crammed to gunnels in an old Robert Lee 5 framed nuc box with old brood comb
Totally ignored more suitable accomodation

{:rolleyes::rolleyes:MAYBEE the BAIT SAUSAGE??;);)}

I disagree nucs are too small, if they like the nuc they will move in even if they are too big to all fit in. Last year I had 2 swarms move into 4 & 5 frame national nucs, this year 3 swarms.

Lemongrass oil will attract the bees (importantly scouts) for this topic but 2-3 year old brood comb is the key to improving your chances.

If I get a swarm the frame of old comb is removed and placed in another nuc ready to go again, thankfully never had a swarm abscond yet.

Had a few swarms this year, but I have found the advise by the BBKA mag is really good, setup they recommend is empty super on a floor (I used a solid one) brood box with frames and crown board, roof. The idea is that the bees are looking for a open space which the empty super is and then they go up to the frames. I have hived 2 swarms this year in this set up and they both stayed. With just brood box and frames I've found its 50/50 whether they stay or not.
regards
Steven

Last edited:
I'd agree about the old brood comb - anyone know why?
I wonder how that fits in with 'natural' colonies in tree trunks - why would scouts look for abandoned sites to move into? Offset lingering disease risk against tried and tested sites??

PH

:iagree:

I had one arive in my Pay*es Poly Nuc yesterday. Going to have a peek today see if they are still there. There was only 3 frames of foundation in it. No lemon grass no old brood frames :eek:

Latest posts

Back