Nuc blown over in storm.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightshade

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Despite heavy bricks on top!

Luckily I had my polystyrene hat on it so neither crown board or roof had come off....

No sign of life through feeder hole but obviously I didn't stop to check further...

Whats the chances of my ladies and their queen all having been squashed and frames higgledy piggledy??

Can they survive a blowing over???

Open the lid and have a quick look.

I was worried about this with my poly nuc. I used some scrap wood to make vertical supports either side of it so it can't topple over unless the whole stand goes. I'll take them off in March when I start opening up hives again as they are a bit of a pain.

Still blowing a good bit here domino...I've just up righted them...

Its my swarm hive which already had a difficult start..

I'm hoping they have all crawled to one side and are huddled in a corner....

Luckily I had my polystyrene hat on it so neither crown board or roof had come off....

No sign of life through feeder hole but obviously I didn't stop to check further...

Whats the chances of my ladies and their queen all having been squashed and frames higgledy piggledy??

Can they survive a blowing over???

If the hive did not come apart, don't look. They are probably OK as long as the frames are in place .

IF the frames moved due to the roof being open, then you should open up and set the frames correctly. As this did not happen, I would NOT open up except maybe - if you want to set your mind at rest - a quick peep under the CB .(BUT I had the same here before Christmas and just righted the nuc and did not look.Bees still alive)

If the queen is dead, you are stuffed as you can't do anything about it..

Thanks madafish....think I'll leave alone....crown board was still in place as was roof as the polystyrene hat had held everything in...

Boy..am I glad I listened to folk and made a jacket prior to the snow coming...if it wasn't on nuc would have been blown to pieces with roof a mile away!!

I agree, had a whole hive go over on a windy day, provided the roof is still square things in side should be ok. If the roof is not flat on the hive there is a chance the frames may have lifted and crossed but as they are unlikely to be building was anytime soon it should not be a problem. Wait for a mild day before checking. I have iron posts driven in each side of my hives which I attach a ratchet straps to across the roof. Will hold any type of hive.
E

I had hives blown apart by storm Doris last year. Some ended up open to the wind and rain for 2 more days and when I found them the frames were frozen solid into the hive.
Despite this they were all fine. Bees are tough little beggars when there's a lump of them together. They've survived Transatlantic flight in plane wheel arches with temps of -60°C.
The only real danger is if the queen was damaged or killed( always a possibility as she's bigger) but now is not the time to go looking for her.
Close em up , strap them down and wait for spring.

Weight at the top will only serve to keep the roof in place.
If anything (especially when you've got a high raised base or with a nuc) it'll make it all top heavy & more likely to topple over.

Straps, (through pallets, concrete blocks or slabs at the base) are a much better option. :smash:
However, you do need to ensure the straps are proof against UV Light!

What would you do if you discovered the queen was squished?

How are you going to know without going through minutely?

It's in the laps of the bee gods that one.

PH

I strap my hives to the hive stands..They have not blown over ever. Despite 80mph gusts..
One nuc blew over this autumn in c70mph gusts.. it had 3 heavy slates on the roof. I moved it to another hive stand and strapped it down.

I leave straps on all hives all year round (some have cosies on so keeps them on as well). £2 per strap in Thorne's sale - I bought more...

Edit: strapped together polyhives float and the bees survive.. various examples in the past 3 years,,,

Bees are hardy creatures than people expect, No point in opening the hive to check if they are still ok.

However when you picked it up did it feel light? e.g. they might need more food, but would wait a few days if they was light.

My hive is on a big paving slab which i use to ratchet over the top. Though i dont think i put it on last week... i have sent out my wife to check

It did feel light however it was a late swarm...fondant on for last tword months but neither nuc has taken any....

Oh well..wait and see...

I use one of these . On its side . Stand nuc on it . Strap round nuc and through it . About £3 . Heavy as fook .
3a7159a59eb2dfab0471ed0da24ec609.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I use one of these . On its side . Stand nuc on it . Strap round nuc and through it . About £3 . Heavy as fook .
3a7159a59eb2dfab0471ed0da24ec609.jpg

Good idea. What is that block called?

Hollow dense block . I think . Shop about at the builders merch's . Can even pick up the odd damaged one . But they are bloody heavy .

Back