Nuc beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Been watching this old boy

Got me wondering ,are there any dedicated books to nuc beekeeping ?

I took one look at his brood comb and switched off.

me four ... not particularly impressed by the idea of encouraging bees to rob out old honey frames either!

Note to self: stop watching other beekeepers videos. You know it'll just upset you! ;)
Oops - that’s what I’ve done with my dead hive. Just a bit of honey in a few combs. Would I be better swapping the combs over? Several have mouldy head down corpses so I wasn’t keen. Is a hoover the best option - any other way to clear out the dead.

Is a hoover the best option - any other way to clear out the dead.
Take hold of the frame by one lug then quickly but gently tap the thick part of the top bar (not the lug) against a post the bees will gradually reverse out of the cells

Take hold of the frame by one lug then quickly but gently tap the thick part of the top bar (not the lug) against a post the bees will gradually reverse out of the cells
Tryed that recently and the comb was breaking of some of it was brittle.
I ended up using tweezers, I didn't fancy recking the hoover that cost as much as 5 new hives.

Oops - that’s what I’ve done with my dead hive. Just a bit of honey in a few combs. Would I be better swapping the combs over? Several have mouldy head down corpses so I wasn’t keen. Is a hoover the best option - any other way to clear out the dead.

Strongly recommend just chopping it out and rewaxing with fresh foundation.

Have learned a lot of serious lessons over the last 12 years about false economies vis a vis conserving used brood combs. Now ANY death from ANY cause gets chopped out, anjd rendered down, then frames sterilised, and rewaxed. Even any frames of foundation in dead outs gets redone. Long term cost less than if you give disease to even 1% of colonies. (Not just talking brood diseases...either of the nosemas for eample).

Do appreciate this is easier, cheaper, and faster for us using wired frames instead of wired foundation., but it is still a small penalty for an extra layer of safety.

Have learned a lot of serious lessons over the last 12 years about false economies vis a vis conserving used brood combs. Now ANY death from ANY cause gets chopped out, anjd rendered down, then frames sterilised, and rewaxed. Even any frames of foundation in dead outs gets redone. Long term cost less than if you give disease to even 1% of colonies. (Not just talking brood diseases...either of the nosemas for eample).

Do appreciate this is easier, cheaper, and faster for us using wired frames instead of wired foundation., but it is still a small penalty for an extra layer of safety.

Good points. What do you do with the wax?

Last edited:

Popular view - do you think though the strain on bees producing more wax should be a consideration! Presumably there’s a lost production cost as well as the direct financial.

Latest posts

Back