Not new just back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesandsheep

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees died some 10 years ago.
I have waited a long time, but finally a swarm has returned to a Smith hive of all things.
I do carry an epipen as I have suffered anaphalaxis a couple of times.
What do members find are some useful precautions to avoid being stung?

Get a decent suit and make sure your wrists and ankles are sealed up or wellie boots with your trousers tucked in .. check all the zips and velcro to ensure there are no gaps. double nitrile gloves will protect your hands and just to help matters a few drops of Olbas OIl on your gloves will keep the bees away from your hands. Wear a long sleeved shirt under your suit as some materials will let bees stings through if they crease (if you get a good suit this should not be necessary but - better safe than sorry).

Get a decent suit and make sure your wrists and ankles are sealed up or wellie boots with your trousers tucked in .. check all the zips and velcro to ensure there are no gaps. double nitrile gloves will protect your hands and just to help matters a few drops of Olbas OIl on your gloves will keep the bees away from your hands. Wear a long sleeved shirt under your suit as some materials will let bees stings through if they crease (if you get a good suit this should not be necessary but - better safe than sorry).
Thank you.
You have reminded me to replace the elastic in the cuffs.
I am not sure what nitrile gloves are in your context.
I have nitrile for spraying but the are too stiff to even bend a finger in. Useless for removing a frame from the box.
Will google nitrile gloves.
Also Olbas Oil.
It is pretty annoying being allergic, when the bees make me so happy!

These are the gloves I use .. I just use single pairs but to be safe you are better off with a double layer. They are a bit thicker than normal disposables and they can be washed and used a number of times ... you'll find them on ebay

Ansell Touch n Tuff Green Nitrile Disp Gloves AQL1.5 Box Part 92-605 Long Cuff​

What do people use nowadays for varroa control?
The favoured (cheapest and most effective treatment) is Oxalic acid by sublimation but it is not approved by the VMD !! So .. legally it's Apibioxal (OA with some fairy dust in it and 100 times as expensive as generic OA)

Welcome back. I go from m no reaction after many stings to bad reaction with the odd one in a year so I long decided the best path of action is not to get stung if I can possible avoid it. I agree, a bomb proof suit gives you loads of confidence and with confidence you tend to handle the bees so much better. If you are nervous that you might get stung you probably will 😁
As far as gloves go I always wear the ones that look like plastic with long leather gauntlets that are sold by most suppliers. I get a new pair every year at Christmas and I have never been stung through them. They can be easily washed clean of propolis. I know everyone on this forum thinks you can't feel the bees through them but I have no problems handling bees or frames and again confidence of not being stung is the key. 45 ish years under my belt but I am not afraid to say I would rather not go through the agony of a sting if I can avoid it. I confess to being a wuss😀😱😄

I still get stung through the Ansell gloves, though that's what I use if I bother with gloves - I do get stung less though.
A double pair might be enough, or even a double pair with a thin cotton gloves underneath?
I know some use long-cuff marigolds.

I have waited a long time, but finally a swarm has returned to a Smith hive of all things.
Welcome back. The bees found you after all these years.
Fian is right. Get some immunotherapy fir a little more peace of mind.

These are the gloves I use .. I just use single pairs but to be safe you are better off with a double layer. They are a bit thicker than normal disposables and they can be washed and used a number of times ... you'll find them on ebay

Ansell Touch n Tuff Green Nitrile Disp Gloves AQL1.5 Box Part 92-605 Long Cuff​

Same ones I use if I don’t have Marigolds to hand. Excellent gloves👍

After you take all your protective gear off, look out for bees on your suit etc. and any irritated bees still about, because not infrequently stings happen from bees hanging around on equipment, clothes etc. that you move with bare hands later.

After you take all your protective gear off, look out for bees on your suit etc. and any irritated bees still about, because not infrequently stings happen from bees hanging around on equipment, clothes etc. that you move with bare hands later.
Yep, we have all been there😄

Even better get someone else to check you over before you take the gear off.
I would similarly be looking at immunotherapy even if not a beekeeper!

If you get anaphylaxis from bee stings but still want to beekeep. I'd suggest these

"Showa 772, Chemical Resistant Gloves, Yellow, Nitrile, Cotton Liner". The palms and fingers have a rough texture, to aid grip. Cuffs reach beyond your elbows. Very unlikely bees will sting through these.
1719477228567.png

If you get anaphylaxis from bee stings but still want to beekeep. I'd suggest these

"Showa 772, Chemical Resistant Gloves, Yellow, Nitrile, Cotton Liner". The palms and fingers have a rough texture, to aid grip. Cuffs reach beyond your elbows. Very unlikely bees will sting through these.
View attachment 40480
very unlikely you would be able to function as a beekeeper wearing them (I know, as I've had occasion to wear them for another purpose)

Latest posts

Back