Not collecting pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidwd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had my first hive for nearly 2 weeks and whenever the bees go out for foraging there is always a good percentage bringing back pollen, today there is no pollen going into the hive, is it because it has been raining or is it possible I have damaged the queen when doing my first inspection?

Probably the weather.
Next time you inspect forget about looking for the queen but look for eggs either stood upright or laying on their side in the cells.

Do not panic, do not worry. You are unlikely to have squashed her maj. Wait and see on your next inspection. If she is marked it will make life simpler, otherwise as suggested just look for eggs.

Thank you, just seemed strange bringing in loads of pollen one day and none the next. I will try and find HRH on the next inspection, didn't see her on the last one but then it was quite cool and didnt want the hive open for long.

D

Why as so many concerned with finding HM?

Eggs, Larvae, brood.good temperament, unless of course you want to mark or squish.

Why as so many concerned with finding HM?

Eggs, Larvae, brood.good temperament, unless of course you want to mark or squish.

:iagree: but it is still nice to find your queen when you have a new hive, good practice and all that

given recent weather you're lucky they're flying.

remember every inspection sets back the colony somewhat. especially relevent if weather inclement. only inspect when you need to/with a specific plan.

Thank you, I have actually bought a glass crown board now so I can just lift the roof and see their progress - I do add some insulation on the crown board though.

Latest posts

Back