Not another swarm ! yes it is !! Help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyapex

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 weeks ago i did not have a bee !!!
And when my friend a ex beek came around to help me capture a swarm that had swarmed from a tree in my garden ! he said " theres no way you'll end up with just one hive "
i laughed .

i've now 4 in 2 weeks

so

1 origanal from the the tree . just in a brood box .

then 2 weeks later the tree colony made a cast .
that is now housed and is still in a brood box .

Then i've got the " new old hive " from the game keeper that i'm just on with sorting .

i've just gone to check the cast and low and behold a meter and a half away is another chuffing swarm !!!!!!
all the bees seem to be in all the hives !

is it another cast?

do i just put it in another brood box ?

( its a good job i'm making all my own national hives as this could be very expensive !!!!)

plus theres another hive from the keeper coming very soon !

am i mad ???
theres nothing like jumping in feet first !!

help !!! again please

i feel daft asking all this as i've a book to read on all this !
but inbetween making brood boxes, frames, bases rescueing beees i've not got time to scratch my arse :) although those nettles chuffing are still stinging from last night !!

woody ( i hope all this made sense as i'm strugleing to follow it myself ) beeoverload -(((:)O bzzzzzzzzzzz

Then

ok the swarms in the new brood box and all happy!
It did take a little doing as the queen did not want to go in , she is very small but a second attempt got them in !!

Wow
Looks like you have your work cut out for a while
Well done
You are very lucky, they must like you
Clare

Well done woody keep going with the hive building it may not be over yet.

If you read the books they tell you swarming season is May to July :laughing-smiley-014

Hope you have enough wood !

"If you read the books they tell you swarming season is May to July"

we need to come up with "values" to apply to march and april swarms to add to the old saying.

Sounds like the Pied Piper of Hamlin...

A lot of people learn as their bees grow from a relatively mild mannered nucleus- you have truly jumped in at the deep end. I'd suggest that you don't expand any more at this stage as when these early swarms grow into full size colonies you might well be overwhelmed with managing them, especially if ( and I don't know) you are not that experienced.

Best of luck, whatever!

dish mop ! pipe at the ready .
Plumber man i'm a fast learner , but if i get any more swarms they are going to my friends !!
and as for timber bucks boy ! ive loads ! thats what i do :)

Although i spent 300 quid on wax and frames a seperator ! oh and a book ! and i'v nearly only got the book left !!!!!!

Exciting times!
I think keeping hives to sensible numbers actually takes a bit of work in itself. I have reduced my hives back to 5 but you have to plan and think about how/when etc.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back