Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have been set the task of managing an apiary this year and have situation that I didn't think at all about dealing with. We have been testing for disease and Nosema is present in a number of hives at high levels. My question is what do I do? The bees look healthy, no crawling bees in front of the hives, brood patterns are good and doing all the things bees should do. I have some ideas but would like some advice before any decisions are made. We are going to be retesting to confirm the levels of Nosema.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm tests. Given that there is no agreed and authorised treatment for Nosema, If the hives look clean inside and out, I'd say it ain't broke, so don't try to fix it.

Last edited:
i believe nosema is present in pretty much all bees, it is just the levels, so if you're saying they are high then it may store up a problem

i had one colony go down to nosema but haven't had a problem since, i do now routinely use the autumn feed approach

Thanks for the replies. An article I have read suggests that it could be related to genetics and by introducing a new genetic blood line should improve the overall resistance to nosema.
Another suggestion I have had is to destroy the colony - very reluctant to do that.

Thanks for the replies. An article I have read suggests that it could be related to genetics and by introducing a new genetic blood line should improve the overall resistance to nosema.
Another suggestion I have had is to destroy the colony - very reluctant to do that.

Read some Scandinavian literature that claims to have eradicated Nosema in their apiaries by not breeding from colonies that have it.

Go with the thymol in the syrup it works and also stops it turning sour.

Oxalic acid vapour is also meant to help control nosema in the hive. Like we needed another reason to vape.

Latest posts

Back