North Hampshire here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob D.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

Been putting this off for some time, had decided beekeeping would be a retirement project, and then finally decided, why wait.

Starting slow, plan to join the local association and take a course. Meantime reading lots of books. Expect to see me asking questions in the beginers forum.

I'm a bit of a DIYer/hacker and like to make my own things and upcycle where I can. Some of the smaller hive components look ideal for 3D printing, and I'm already eyeing up some tins with a view to soldering together a smoker.

Welcome, this forum is as good or better than many a book!
Do you have a site in mind to keep your bees on? Or are you thinking of your garden? Don't try and make your own bee suit, buy the best you can afford, you will thank me for that advice one day. Good luck
E

... Starting slow, plan to join the local association and take a course.

If you're hoping to take a course next year (2015) get your place booked soon, because they fill up quite early and there won't be another one for another year.

Do you have a site in mind to keep your bees on? Or are you thinking of your garden?

Yes and yes, but before people start talking about problems with small gardens we have 5 acres and no immediate neighbours. Combination of what we already call a wildlife garden and horse paddocks.

A little concerned that badgers that visit the garden (never seen them but based on the fact that something is digging up wild bees nests) might show an interest in hives, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Hi,

Been putting this off for some time, had decided beekeeping would be a retirement project, and then finally decided, why wait.

Starting slow, plan to join the local association and take a course. Meantime reading lots of books. Expect to see me asking questions in the beginers forum.

I'm a bit of a DIYer/hacker and like to make my own things and upcycle where I can. Some of the smaller hive components look ideal for 3D printing, and I'm already eyeing up some tins with a view to soldering together a smoker.

Welcome from another in north Hampshire.
you will find it a great justification for either existing or new tools

hive=chopsaw, tablesaw, router, sheet metal guillotine, box & pan folder
frames = nail gun compressor
extractor = sheet metal rolls, TIG welder, lathe,

Then you can get into all the telemetry aspects

Dont put the hives too far away otherwise you will miss the enjoyment

Yes and yes, but before people start talking about problems with small gardens we have 5 acres and no immediate neighbours. Combination of what we already call a wildlife garden and horse paddocks.

A little concerned that badgers that visit the garden (never seen them but based on the fact that something is digging up wild bees nests) might show an interest in hives, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Phew! I thought you were going to say you were in the middle of Basingstoke, no problems there then! Badgers are in and around my garden and have never been a problem but a small wooden fence with 4 foot wire fence securely fixed at two foot high and bent out at the bottom for two feet should be enough of a deterrent.
My only other tip would be not to try and reinvent a hive. Build your hive to exact measurements. You will soon find that there is a thing called a bee space which is absolutely critical. Any more and they will build brace comb, any less and they will fill the gap with propolis.
Good luck and keep us updated
I used to be in north hants, my main crop was sweet chestnut.
E

.......plan to join the local association and take a course.

Welcome Bob.
North Hampshire you say! I'm Blackmore / Bordon area, you may want to give the Petersfield and District Beekeepers Association a try, they are just down the road.

Look at the main suppliers websites for sales cost of items eg smoker for a little over a tenner etc.

Make the expensive things buy the cheap in the sales.

Make the expensive things buy the cheap in the sales.

You don't get it :)
Where's the pleasure in saying "I brought that" compared with "I made that".

Like the plastic foot I 3D printed to save a second hand washing machine, I'm proud of that little repair. Just ignore the fact the printer cost me 400 to build.

I think home made preserves and baking make a much nicer Xmas present than a shop brought hamper. Can you see where some of that honey is gonna be going yet :)

You don't get it :)

Oh I do get it......

I get immense pleasure from making things but..... if it costs me more to make than someone can make it for and sell it to me I buy it. I devote that time and money into a force multiplier for me and my family.

As the Japanese taught me when I worked there, work smarter not harder :)

But hey knock yer self out if it floats your boat

Latest posts

Back