No queen - what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girrian

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am new to bee keeping and received a small colony in April with a queen present. I transferred the 5 frames over to my National and they have been pretty slow to develop - I reckon only 2,000 bees tops.

Last week I checked the brood box and queen was present but little evidence of many eggs, but thought this might be because it has been so cold recently and they've been using their stores and not flying much?

Today just checked and can't see queen at all - a few cells had dead bees that had half emerged but varroa floor is looking fairly clean so don't think it could be that. Not many bees now as queen has obviously swarmed - should I order a new queen - if so , why would the bees still be there at all - thought they would all leave the hive if no queen was there?

Sorry - very new to all this!

Hi Girrian,

I am new to beekeeping too, so take what I say in that light.

What evidence do you have that the queen has swarmed? Did you find an emerged queen cell?

John

Girrian

You clearly have a problem here: essentially it is very unlikely that a nucleus, and in particular one that has not been thriving would swarm.

Disease, robbing, starvation and a defective queen are all likely scenarios.

Where did you get the nucleus from? I get the impression that you are not too confident with this situation and as such would recommend that you get someone experienced to look at your hive. Have you any local contacts that might help?

in my book 2k bees is more suitable for a mating nuc and is pushing it to get going/sustain brood in a 5 frame nuc let alone being dumped into a cavernous 10/11 frame hive.

Seems like you have non-viable situation where the remaining bees will simply dwindle away.

Circa 250g of bees was well below the minimum for a successful recovery (without more than a modicum of outside help). Less than that now, by quite a lot, and no queen would indicate it is time to move on. RIP.

RAB

Latest posts

Back