No Queen, no eggs & no brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Please could i ask for some advice.
I have followed AS methods as found in "The Bee bible". I have split one hive into two, the one with the old queen is building up fast and numbers are rapidly increasing and it looks like a strong hive.
However, the hive with the queen cell left in it has hatched but there are no eggs, brood or a new queen to be seen.
I do see many drones wandering (more than workers) and spotted brood patterns (not many on each frame). Today was the first time that i have inspected it (2 weeks) after the split as advised in the book. So, is this normal and i just need to give things a bit more time or do i need to take further action. Thanks for any reply.

Hi, had the same scare last year on 2 of my hives, it was nearly 4 weeks from AS before the new Queens came into lay, so my lesson was to be patient and not rush to the conclusion that you are Q- for a while yet.

Cheers Chris

its going to be at least 3 weeks after the split and a lot longer if the weather is bad.Once the queen has hatced her mating flight will be a few days later or if she cant get out due to weather this could turn into weeks and not days.
around day 16 she hatches.
day 20-24-mating flights weather permitting
day 30+ starts laying.This can be much longer

Latest posts

Back