No queen for a start and then....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
No queen on one hive today and one tiny little queen cell! One can see unsealed grubs and what look like sealed grubs but is then the cell has been capped below it's rim! One line of thought was that these could be pollen cells. Whatever not a good day in the apiary for either myself or my friend with 40 years experience in beekeeping.
One of the other hives which we had test frames in has now shown that it is queenless by making up queen cells, destroyed most left two while we consider the next action, reluctant to do much until we know what is going on in first hive.
Appears to me that you can do what you like with beekeeping but nature will still do what she likes, quite right to.

not a good day in the apiary for ... my friend with 40 years experience in beekeeping.

He/she, with that much experience, should not be 'phased' by a small matter such as that. The remedies are rife.

Oh I don't suggest he was phased at all, I may well be of course, he was just bemused that you never know what to expect, bearing in mind we had only gone up for a quick look.
The remedies are rife you say, I am sure they are and I will of course be reading up later in the meantime any advice is welcome.

in the meantime any advice is welcome

Your first post where you say 'reluctant to do much until we know what is going on in first hive.' is about spot on, so I dpubt you will get so much advice until that is known.

Anything else is simply speculation.

:iagree:

Recent events show this a good option.

But you must keep your eye on developments Shirley
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA[/ame]

Couldn't help giving some clarity to a phrase used on here that bemuses some or one. :cool: :)

Update as and when please.

Last edited:
If hive one is presumed queenless with a small queen cell - why destroy all queen cells in hive 2 - could you not have put a frame from hive 2 with queen cells into hive one? What does your 40yr veteran suspect and advise?

Latest posts

Back